Chapter 38

Abel's POV

I groaned and slowly opened my eyes, welcoming the bright rays of sun that shone through the windows. I sat up in bed and stretched, satisfied when I felt my bones pop softly.

"It's about time." My head snapped over to Elizabeth who walked out of the bathroom, Valerie snuggled up in her arms.

"Did I sleep that long?" I asked and got up from the bed. I made my way over to her and smiled down at Valerie who was a drooling mess. I sighed and ran my hand gently across her cheek.

"Hold her for me." Elizabeth held her out. I gently took her and rested her head against my chest. "And yes you did, it's almost evening but you looked so tired so I didn't bother waking you." She said and went over to the wardrobe. I hummed and rocked Valerie as I watched Elizabeth.

We had less than two days left here in Slovenia and I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss the place. It was somewhere I could see myself living forever, but we had to leave, we had no other choice. Elizabeth's father would be here in two days and there couldn't be any traces of us left. Although traveling isn't ideal, with the fact that Elizabeth gave birth only two weeks ago, we'll be starting our journey to Benevento tomorrow. The sooner we get there, the better.

I was planning to marry Elizabeth, though she didn't know that just yet but after I took my rightful place on the throne, it would be much easier to protect her as my wife. It wasn't like she valued her marriage with Andreas either way.

"I'm exhausted already just thinking of the journey we have ahead of us." Elizabeth sighed heavily and made her way back over to me. She took Valerie and walked over to the cradle that I made a few weeks ago. It made me happy to know that Elizabeth preferred mine over Sir Elio's much more fancy and well made one. It gave me a sense of pride. I smiled as I watched her lay little Valerie down and gently patted her back, putting her to sleep.

I walked over and wrapped my hands around her waist then I rested my chin on her shoulder.

"I know, but we have no other option right now. But look at the bright side, we won't have to worry much when we get there. I'll be taking my place and I'll do everything in my power to keep you and Valerie safe." I tried to reassure her. I leaned up and pressed my lips lightly against her neck.

"You're right." She sighed and leaned into me. I squeezed her waist lightly and pulled her back into me. I gently bit at her neck and swiped my tongue along the soft skin. I ran my hands down to her thighs and bunched up the hem of her dress then began pulling it up, slowly exposing her thighs.

"Abel..." she breathed out and quickly spun around and in less than a second her arms were around my neck and her lips were pressed to mine. My hands found their way down to her ass. I squeezed the supple flesh lightly. Elizabeth sighed against my lips. I took the opportunity and quickly pushed my tongue past her lips. She yelped softly which was followed by a moan when I palmed her ass once more.

I moved one of my hands between us and ran it down her stomach. Elizabeth quickly grabbed my hands before I could go any further. She detached her lips from mine and sighed.

"We can't." She said and ran a hand through her hair, her eyes glazed over and her cheeks red. I nodded in understanding. She was right, it was probably too soon to do anything. Her body was most likely still healing, it's been only two weeks after all.

"I'm sorry, you're just so hard to resist sometimes." I leaned down and pecked her lips lightly.

"As are you, do you know how hard it is not to pounce on you." She sighed and shoved me playfully. I watched as she went back over to the bed and laid down. "Anyways, I'm a bit hungry. Would you like to go get some supper for me Abe?" She asked and slowly ran her hand down the front of her dress, popping the buttons opened one by one.