Chapter 19

(Continuing from last chapter)

Abel's POV

I closed the door softly behind me and leaned my back against the brick wall. My heart raced and my stomach flipped as my brain replayed what just happened. Elizabeth just kissed me...the princess kissed me, a mere peasant. What was she thinking, kissing me so suddenly, what if someone were to walk in? I mean, I guess I understand that she's going through a rough patch right now and in a sense,  I'm the only one really giving her emotional support or any support for that matter. 

But that isn't even my main concern. I'm confused as to why I didn't push her away. Why did I feel the strong urge to grab her face and kiss her passionately, until her lips were bruised so she would never forget.

No. I can't think that way. I'm with Helga and Elizabeth is just a good friend, and she's the princess for god sake, I shouldn't have lewd thoughts about her. I sighed. She looked so angry with herself, apologizing continuously, she was pleading for me to forgive her. I'm sure she regretted it too. Yes, this was all just a big mishap. Just a little accident because of her emotional instability.

I sighed heavily and ran my hands through my hair. I still had a few more hours before I'd be able to go meet Helga. I'll probably have to tell her what happened huh. Sigh. She would understand though and it's not like cheated or anything like that, yeah I didn't push her away but I didn't kiss her back either.  

But you still allowed it.

Ugh. I don't want to think about this anymore.  I sighed and felt around my pockets for the book I borrowed from Elizabeth. I still haven't finished it and that was mostly because I only read it when I was either bored or wanted to take my mind off things. Like right now.

Perfect distraction.

_

After ten antagonizing hours I was finally able to leave my post. Normally I would stay all night then head to my room in the morning, sleep for an hour, freshen up them head back to my post. John would be the one to take over for me, but since I promised to stop by Helga's room tonight I made a deal with John to do his laundry while he took over my night shift, a very fair trade in my opinion.

"Thanks again John." I said strapping my knife unto my belt.

"Yeah no problem. It's not like I have anything else to do and you did agree to do my laundry. I should warn you though...I haven't done laundry in a while, it's a lot of clothes."  He said sheepishly. I smiled and shook my head.

"That's quite alright, I'm still very grateful." I smiled.

"Alright alright, say..how bout you get me breakfast too huh?" He grinned. I chuckled and shook my head.

"Don't push it." I said shoving his shoulders playfully as I walked past him. I heard him let out a hearty laugh, the sound fading as I made my way further down the corridor. It was around ten o'clock now and the castle was dead silent. Things tended to slow down at around eight, by now everyone should be asleep.

I walked down the corridors of the servant quarters, enjoying the silence of the night. It got extremely cold around this time so I think I'll shower in the morning, I'll be one of the first to get some warm water. 

I contemplated stopping by my room first but decided against it, I didn't want to keep Helga waiting any longer. Knowing her, she was probably snuggled under the blankets and reading to past time. I smiled at the thought.

I took a left turn and made my way down the maids quarters until I finally came to a stop at Helga's room. I took a deep breath, feeling nervous all of a sudden then I knocked softly on the door. I didn't want to cause too much noise that would alert anyone that was still awake. I wasn't even supposed to be here in the first place.