Chapter 20

January 12th

Abel's POV

Abe..

Abel...

ABEL!

I jerked awake at the loud voice and lifted myself from off the wall. I looked down to see an angry looking Elizabeth staring up at me. I averted my gaze.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I dozed off." I said, fumbling the pocket of my pants. Her eyes softened and her lips bent into a sad smile.

"Have you been okay lately? You seem a little out of it as of late." She said taking my hands into hers, her soft palms enveloping my hands in their warmth. My heart instantly started to convulse against my chest. It's something that I had realized that kept happening everytime Elizabeth would invade my personal space. Ever since that day, when she accidentally kissed me, everytime she came a little too close my heart would start beating unnaturally fast.

It was becoming an issue because I could no longer focus while I worked. Elizabeth is a very touchy person, and I must admit I do like it, but I knew I wasn't supposed to. That's what scared me.

"Abel?" Elizabeth, waved her hand in front of my face. I snapped out of my thoughts and removed my hand from hers.

"Yes, I'm fine princess, just tired." I said, forcing a smile. She didn't look convinced but she nodded. We stood in silence for a minute before she spoke again.

"Don't you have a day off tomorrow?" She asked now averting her gaze and looking down the corridor. I sighed softly.

"Ah yes, I didn't even remember." I said softly.

"Yeah well, now you do." She said.

"Yes, I suppose." I sighed out. Another minute of complete silence went by before Elizabeth sighed and went back inside her room without another word. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. I sighed heavily and ran my hand through my hair. Well that was awkward.

Just a few more hours to go and I'll be able to go see Helga. I couldn't stand this awkward and tense filled atmosphere, it was stifling. And I know I was the reason for it but I couldn't help being a little alert after that kiss. Was it the fear of her doing it again that made me so guarded...or is it the fear that I actually liked it.

I groaned loudly and gripped my scalp. I don't want to think about this anymore. I sighed and released my head, took a deep breath and exhaled. Elizabeth wouldn't do that again, I could see just how much she regretted it and in a way, I felt somewhat...saddened by that. Was it that revolting to kiss my lips?

You are a mere peasant of course it was.

I sighed heavily. In truth I knew that wasn't the case. Elizabeth did not think like that, she was mostly worried about ruining my relationship with Helga. And here I am being awkward about it when I should be forgetting about it. Ugh, I'm so stupid. 

"Abel?" My body jolted and my head snapped to the sudden voice. John stood before me with a very questioning look. "Are you alright?" He asked. 

I nodded quickly. "Uh-" I cleared my throat. "Yes, I'm alright. What is it?" I asked, now straightening my posture. 

"Uh well, it's lunch time so...." He drew out. I facepalmed and sighed. Of course. That's the only reason why he would be here. 

I nodded and forced a smile. "Right, right. I'm a little bit slow today haha. I'll be going." I said and quickly made my way past him. I need to get my mind off all this, it wasn't even important so why do I keep thinking about it. I sighed and scratched my neck. Maybe some food will take my mind off it.