Chapter 29

Abel's POV

The days that passed have gotten increasingly harder. Elizabeth wasn't doing too well...for obvious reasons, and had fallen into a very depressive state which only I seemed to notice. This boggled me because although Elizabeth was never one that was interested in her daily activities of being a princess but...she was never this...lethargic. I would've thought her parents would have noticed her lack of energy and motivation towards anything but they didn't seem to, or maybe they just didn't care.

So as the days passed, I was the only one comforting the princess. I had waited for days for Andreas to come back so I could have my way with him. I no longer cared that he was a noble, I no longer cared about the things that would happen to me for hurting a nobleman. In my eyes he was nothing but scum, the dirt at the bottom of my shoe. I had waited so long just to get my hands on him, but then I remembered that he had left and gone back home the day after he violated his own wife.

I would inflict pain on him some way or another. What he did is unforgivable. I had even begged Elizabeth to tell her parents, he didn't deserve to roam free while she suffered but everytime I brought it up she would immediately shut down the idea. On the last day that I begged her, in a fit of rage, with nothing but raw pain in her eyes, she explained how her parents wouldn't even bat an eye at her. She explained that with the way they think, they would say it's normal because she was wedded to him and so he has a right to her body whenever he felt like it.

Seeing her break down like that felt like someone had stabbed me with a knife and was twisting it just so I could feel the constant burn of the wound. It destroyed me to the point where I sat and cried along with her, something I have never done. I realized then that I was all she had in the moment. She had cried and begged me to get her out of this place and although I had planned to put aside our little escape until she felt better, maybe it was better to pull her out of this hell hole now rather than later.

That's what led me to where I am right now, sitting once again inside Sophie's shop. It was way past curfew hours but I was too impatient to wait till morning. I wanted to know if Sophie had gotten the necessities that we would need for our getaway.

Initially I had asked her to help us with the disguises and transport to get out of the village undetected, and of course I had asked to borrow some money, as we would need a great amount if we wanted to cross the country quickly.

"Why don't you just stay the night hun?" Sophie frowned as she walked from the back of the store with a small cloth bag. I shook my head and smiled apologetically as I took the bag from her.

"You know I can't Sophie, I can't take any chances. If they find out that I snuck out while on my duty, not only will I have to pay them an insane amount of money that I already don't have but I also will no longer be able to help Elizabeth. She needs me." I smiled sadly.

She nodded and pulled me into a tight hug. "I understand, please be careful on your way back and remember to come back a day before you plan on leaving so I can get the transport ready, alright?"

I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze before nodding. "Thank you Sophie. I must go now." I said my final goodbyes before walking back out into the darkness of the village. I carefully made my way back over the tower walls and back onto castle grounds.

As I cautiously made my way towards the castle I was stopped.

"YOU, stop right there!" I stopped dead in my tracks and slowly turned around, coming face to face with one of the guards. He gave me a once over before he spoke again. "Aren't you the princess's bitch?" He asked. My I clenched my fist at his degradation. Then my eyes fell to his hand as he moved it down to grip the small gun strapped to his waist.