Chapter 35

Elizabeth's POV

I heaved and breathed heavily as Abel tugged me along through the bushes. We were once again on the run, it didn't seem like we could stay anywhere for too long.

My feet ached, my stomach was churning and I felt as if I couldn't breathe properly. Everything just felt so overwhelming.

"Abel wait...I...can't." I said while I tried to catch my breath. I began to slow down when a wave of nausea washed over me. I felt as if I was going to pass out.

"We're almost there, I can see the houses. Just a little more okay." Abel said over her shoulder, trying to catch her own breath. And she was right, the houses of the village started to come into view and I was happy about that because my feet now had a mind of their own. I felt them give way and soon I was falling to the ground.

It's a good thing Abel is always vigilant and aware because she quickly caught me before my body could hit the ground. " Shit Liz, what's wrong?" I faintly heard Abel say but my lips felt heavy and the words wouldn't come out. "Jesus. Stay with me, we're almost there okay." I felt her hook her arm under my knee then she scooped me up into her arms. My body instantly went limp against her. She then began running once more. Now with every bit of weight that we had, her bag, the chest box and of course, me.

I felt a bit bad, her having to strain to carry everything but I couldn't fight my body any longer. The weeks of running and starvation had caught up to me. I wasn't used to it, and neither was my body.

I fought my best to keep my eyes open. I looked up and my eyes fell onto the blue sky above us. The clouds moved extremely slowly and my eye caught onto a particular cloud that had the shape of what looked like a face...a baby's face. I kept my eyes on it and after a few seconds it looked as if the cloud began to move faster, going in the direction behind us.

My eyes were stuck to it as it passed over us. That was as long as I could keep them open. I glanced up at Abel's face one last time. Her brows were furrowed, and sweat streamed down her face. Her lips were opened slightly as she heaved for air. I felt my eyelids become heavy and roll to the back of my head. Soon all I saw was darkness.

_

It was a slight jerk that woke me up. I slowly opened my eyes and was met with the roof of a carriage. A carriage?

I quickly sat up and instantly regretted it as a wave of nausea ran through me. I sat still for a moment, willing myself not to throw up.

"You're awake!" Before I could even respond Abel pulled me into her. She held onto my cheeks as she stared into my eyes. "Are you alright, in any pain?" She asked, nothing but worry evident in her tone.

I sighed and wrapped my arms around her body and rested my head on her chest.

"I'm okay now, just a bit nauseous." I replied. Abel sighed heavily.

"Thank heavens, you gave me a scare back there." She said and began running her hands along my back. It felt nice.

"Speaking of which, where are we even?" I said pulling away from her and looking around the carriage. It was almost identical to the one we had, everything looked the same.

"Just outside the village. I used the money Alberto gave us and bought this. I figured it was better than a single horse and the guy sold it pretty cheap. I had some money left over so I bought us whatever food I could get." Abel pointed over to the small basket of bread and fruits. I sighed softly and nodded.

"What are we going to do now Abel? We'll have to leave here soon, I know they're going to have a search party out here anytime soon." I sighed and my hand instinctively fell onto my clothed stomach.