Openings and Secrets

The week flew by in blink of an eye. Faster than I wanted to. Actually it was a good week, prep was on full swing and my employees were sweet enough to help me set everything up ranging from the coffee machines to the library. 

Finally the morning of the opening came. I was getting ready when my dog Cooper came running into my room and straight away jumped on my bed.

" Hey Coop ! You excited ?" I ask looking at his reflection in my mirror.

He barks in response. " Yeah me too" I say turning around.

" How do I look ?" He barks again and comes at my feet wagging his tail. " Aw thanks bubba" I say scratching behind his ears.

" Shall we ?" I say pointing to the door and he understands my signal as he walks out the door

I decide to walk as the weather this early in the morning was pleasant and appropriate for a walk. It was more like Cooper was walking me because he was so excited that he was literally dragging me.

We reach the Café pretty early. I go in and make sure everything was up and about. I sigh relieved as I saw my mother's dream finally falling in place.  I make my way outside to write some welcome quotes on the chalkboard. I crouch down and write some pretty catchy lines. Then I notice a box of toys lying on the chairs outside.

I go up to lift it but it was quite heavy and Cooper pulling me by his leash was not helping either.

" Need some help ?" I turn around to see Chris and his family standing there with wide grins. I put the box down as I make my way over to them.

" Hey !" I say hugging him. I breathe in his cologne, sorry couldn't help it.

" We're here too ya know" Carly chimes in. I blush hard as I go over to hug them.

" Y/N ?!!" I hear a male voice screech

" Yes ?" I look over to a man whose face I found quite familiar.

" Scott ?" I ask

" So the author does remember her gay best friend" he say snickering.

" OH MY GOD SCOTT !!!" I say practically tackling him in to a hug.

" Y-You two know each other ?" Chris asks with a confused look.

" Yeah we were best friends in college" I beam still not able to digest the fact that my best friend was standing right in front of me.

" Ohhh" Chris says. Cooper comes running towards Chris and jumped on him.

" Coop behave ! What did I tell you about jumping on people" I say pulling him off Chris.

Well I felt a little jealous of Cooper right now. I mean he wasn't wrong, who could resist this man ?

" It's okay" Chris chuckles as he scratches Cooper behind his ears.

" Come on in. Let me show you around" I said pulling Chris by his arm, out of instinct. Promise.

# Chris's POV # 

" Come on in. Let me show you around." Erin said grabbing my arm. I was shocked for a minute but then realized she was doing that out of instinct. But whatever the reason it felt nice, I was genuinely beaming when I saw the smile on her face. God she's driving me crazy.

" Loverboy what are you thinking about ?" Carly asks me nudging me in my arm as Scott snickers behind her.

" You guys are hopeless" I say rolling my eyes.

We enter the Café and all of us stare at the vintage yet chic interior. The walls were covered with quotes from famous books and authors, there were pictures all over the place.

" So I take it as you liking my place ?" Erin says giggling. 

" Oh my god ! E you kidding ?! Like ?! I love it !!" Scott yells before anyone of us could answer.

" Yeah Erin this place is beautiful" Just like you.

" Thanks Chris" she says tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

" Well I complimented too. Just sayin'" Scott says smirking.

" Thanks to you too Scotty" she says blushing.

" I'll go get the kids now, you guys stay here" Carly says and we both nod.

" Uh- E if you don't mind me asking what is that scar on your stomach ?" Scott asks and then only do I notice a huge scar on the side of her stomach. She fiddles with her top and then with Cooper's leash, finally she looks up to us.

She looks at us a hint of sadness in her eyes. I see her eyes well up with tears.

" Hey Hey... What's wrong ?" I ask moving closer to her.

" I-I should tell you something" She says barely above a whisper.  I look at Scott and he just gives me a confused look.

" Sit" she says and we sit down on the nearest table.

" Scott you remember Cody ? " she asks

" Yeah you two were inseparable in college." he says and I feel a little hurt.

" I was 29 when we both were settled in our careers. We lived together too. One day I found out I was pregnant, and I was over the moon. And I imagined Cody would be too. But when I told him about this he flipped out and dumped me, ending our 9 year long relation just like that. I went into depression, stopped eating properly and my health deteriorated. It was 2 months later that I realized that my baby was more important than some dick. I decided I would do anything for my baby. But life had other plans." 

She pauses to look at us, we both looked at each other. I was so angry at that asshole. But I also felt like crying. Scott moves closer to Erin and holds her hands in his. 

" What happened ?" he asked

" I was 6 months in my pregnancy. I had just found out the sex of my baby. A girl. I was returning home when a semi slammed into my car. I passed out and woke up 3 days later. When I opened my eyes the first thing I asked was 'how is my baby ?' but the only response I got was my sister crying. I knew I lost my baby Scott. I lost her. And on top of that the doctor's told me that the chances of me getting pregnant again were merely 10%." She covers her face and cries into them.

I scoot closer and without a second thought hug her. I feel her shaking and crying into my shoulder.

" It's okay...shhh" I tried soothing her but I knew this was hard. I couldn't even begin to think what it felt like loosing a child.

" T-Thank you Chris, Scott" she says wiping her tears

" What for ?" I ask

" For being there for me. For listening to me" she says hugging Scott.

" Anytime Erin" I say holding her hand.

" Come on now. The kids will be here any minute. We don't want to greet them with sad faces" She says getting up.

I grab her by the arm. " Erin are you really okay ?" I ask

" Chris I know it is hard but I will be okay I promise. I have to move on. I'm sure my baby girl is happy wherever she is. I hope she knows her mommy still misses her" she says looking up.

" C'mere" I say hugging her again.

" I am always here if you need someone to talk too" I say

" I know." she says smiling.

" Let's go open a Café" she says grabbing my hand.

I promise you Erin, I will never let anyone hurt you. I am always be there for you.