Chapter 34

I was breathing heavily as I paced back and forth in the waiting room. Lisa, Scott and Shanna were there with me and Carly was at home with the kids. I was pulling on my hair as I tried controlling my breathing. Shanna came and stood in front of me.

"Erica, please stop stress is not good for you right now" she says pulling me to the seat.

"Shanna how can I not stress ? My husband is in surgery and no one is telling me anything" I say as she rubs my palm soothingly.

"Mrs. Evans ?" A police officer knocks on the waiting room door.

"Yes, that's me" I say looking up. He gives me small smile and stands in front of me.

"We just wanted to inform you that Mr. Evans has not suffered any major injuries as the blow was along the passenger side, but his left arm is broken and the whole of his body is littered in cuts and bruises" he says and I nod silently.

"The accident took place in front of Gelson's grocery store, it wasn't a hit and run, the brakes of the truck failed causing this accident" he says

"Thank you officer" Shanna answers for me.

"It was all my fault, I told him to go get the fucking ice-cream, it's all my fault" I sob into my hands.

if only I had told him to stay home, only if I would've endured a little pain. We would be home right now watching a movie. This is all my fault.

"Erica sweetheart none of this is your fault" Lisa says hugging me tightly.

.

.

A few hours later the doctor comes out of the surgery.

"How is he ?" I ask

"He'll be okay, you can see him now" he says and I rush past them straight to his room.

"Hey kiddo, help your mommy today please, your daddy needs me. Please be okay alright ?" I whisper placing  a hand over my bump. I take a deep breathe and open the door. I choke back a sob as I see Chris on the bed, his face littered with scratches and bruises. I close the door slowly, and take a seat beside his bed. I place a kiss on his forehead, as I take his hand u=in mine.

"Hey babe" I whisper. I silently cry, blaming myself for all of this.

"I'm so sorry" I whisper

"What for ?" my head snaps up and I see Chris looking at me with a slight frown.

"Oh thank god !" I said hugging him, careful not to cause any pain.

"I'm so sorry, this-this is all my fault" I say in between sobs.

"Hey, hey nothing is your fault baby, please stop blaming yourself" he says cupping my cheeks. I press my lips to his in a eager kiss, as he wraps his hands around my neck.

"I love you, and please never do that ever again. Your child is really very sensible, and hasn't given me any trouble today, thankfully."

"Well it's my child after all" he says and I roll my eyes.

"I'll go call Lisa and the rest in" I say kissing his forehead once before walking out.

.

.

I had gone back home to grab a change of clothes for Chris and as I enter his room, I see him sitting up on his bed going through his phone. I climb beside him and rest my head on his chest as he strokes my hair. He rests a hand on my bump and I smile softly.

"How are you little one ?" he whispers

"A little hungry to be honest" I reply as he chuckles.

I was deep in thought when I felt Chris tap my forehead slightly. I look up and he was giving me a skeptical look.

"What's going on ?" he asks 

"I-Just thinking about how scary all of this was, I mean I was freaked out and on the verge of passing out. I really don't want anything to happen to you especially when our lives are about to change. I just love you so much" I say as a single tear slides down my cheek.

"I'm not going anywhere sweetheart. I am here forever, and I love you too" he says connecting our lips once more.

"And we love you too" he says to my bump.