| 7 |

Being driven back down the long forrested path again seemed almost wrong. It felt like I was leaving my job, which I knew I wasn't. I just had to go to the hospital, I would be back soon.

"I want to thank you Sieun," the woman, who apparently was Sunghoon's mom, spoke up as she drove the car.

"Why?" I questioned in confusion, moving my eyes from the trees passing outside the car and over to her. She kept her eyes on the path as she kept on driving.

"Today was the first time in a long time I saw my son completely sober," she stated with a small smile on her face, "I think it's because of you."

"Sober?" I questioned in confusion and she nodded at me.

"Beforehand, he would work drunk. I don't think you noticed, but the day you started working there was three bottles standing on his table, all empty. Either soju or wine," she pointed out and I frowned slightly at the revelation. Never once had I imagined Sunghoon being an alcoholic, "ever since his dad passed a few years ago, he became secluded and cold. Most likely how you've experienced him. When he took over the company two years ago, he began drinking."

"But he was underage," I frowned at her, "wans't he?"

"He was," she hummed with a small nod, "but he had so much money and power all of a sudden that he could easily get it. I think the responsibilities and the weight of expectations that suddenly was on his shoulders drove him to it. But ever since you started working for him... when I go to the company he's a whole other person. He's not as dull and snappy as usual. He's more calm and collected. Still scary, but that's how he runs the business. Even now, a Saturday that I just stopped by, he was sober. He was drinking water with his lunch."

"I just... assumed he wanted water," I muttered in realization.

"I don't know how it is when I'm not there... but I think you're stopping him from drinking. And I think he knows too," she stated, "the way he threatened for you to not leave. He knows you're probably the reason why he hasn't touched alcohol lately."

"So now that I walked away..." I trailed off in realization.

"I think you can expect a bit of a mess when you return," she nodded at me.

"I'll go back tonight," I assured her, "I'll take a bus, you don't have to wait for me."

"Are you sure?" she questioned and stopped the car outside the hospital.

"Yeah," I nodded at her, "I'll go back and take care of him. Don't worry."

"Thank you so much," she almost whispered and when I looked back at her tears was threatening to fall from her eyes.

"It's my job, isn't it?" I questioned her with a small smile.

"You should go now," she nodded at me.

I sent her a last smile before exiting the car and rushing into the hospital and up to the front desk. The woman behind the desk lazily looked up at me, almost as if she didn't want to deal with me.

"Who are you here to see?" she questioned me.

"Jung Youngjin," I replied and she hummed and searched in her computer.

"Suffered a stroke an hour ago... looks to be stable again as far as I can see," she stated and I just eagerly nodded, "room b13."

"Thank you," I breathed out before rushing down the hallway she had gestured me down.

As I reached room b13 I carefully knocked before opening the door and walking inside. I smiled softly at the weak figure that laid on the bed.

"Pumpkin," the hoarse voice of the owner spoke up.

"Hi dad," I cooed out before letting my coat drape over the back of a chair before I walked over and sat down by his bedside, "how are you feeling now?"

"I have this terrible pain in my chest," he complained and I just nodded, "I just need a cig."

"I don't think you do dad," I shook my head at him, "did they give you any medicine?" I questioned and he nodded, "you know what they gave you?"

"No, some pills and stuff," he waved it off, "look at you, all fancy in your clothing," he smiled warmly and I looked down at my white shirt and black skirt.

"I was in a hurry to get here," I nodded at him, "I didn't have my time to change."

"How is work going?" he questioned, "is your boss nice?"

"He's... definitely something," I nodded at him, "not the easiest to get along with, but it's alright."

"Pumpkin, you must promise me something," he lifted his hand and pointed to me as I just nodded at him, "you must take care of yourself before you take care of others. I can see you've lost weight."

"It's just adjusting to the job," I shook my head at him, "I'm feeling fine."

"Hm," he grunted out in dissatisfaction, "how long are you staying?"

"I'm staying until the dark falls, then I have to go back," I excused and he let out a small hum before turning his head and looking out of the window.

"You shouldn't be spending your money on me, Pumpkin," he stated, "I'm just an old sick man, you're a young woman. You should be travelling, buying pretty clothes... getting a boyfriend."

"Dad!" I let out a small laugh of disbelief, "since when do you like the idea of me getting a boyfriend?"

"I don't think it's a secret that there won't be long until my time is up. I want to ensure that there'll be someone there to watch out for you. For when you forget about yourself, before you take care of others," he pointed out, "I want to make sure he's a proper man."

"Hm," I hummed at him, "it'll have to wait a bit. I'm working a lot right now."

"Don't push it out pumpkin. Before you know it, you're grey and old like me, with no one to watch out for you," he stated and I silently nodded.

"I know dad. But remember... you always told me I would live past a hundred," I reminded him and he let out a laugh.

"Live past two hundred," he corrected with a wide warm smile. 

"Okay... then I'll live past two hundred," I nodded and reached over to grab his hand, "I promise."