10

Normal - Jimin's language Merman - Merman's language Sign language - both can understand

Merman - Merman's language
Sign language - both can understand

~*~
Author POV

Jimin continued to draw rough sketches of the mermen, now complete with the top of their tails. He used the coloured pencils that he had brought down with him, sketching and shading the colours across the page.

The mermen watched him silently, enjoying the meal that Jimin had provided them with. Kimchi with some rice, fish marinated in soy sauce and dried seaweed. Jimin finished his sketches and placed the book securely in the watertight bag. He then shuffled up the the beach away from the incoming tide, taking the book with him, he went about a metre further up the beach.

The mermen watched his movements carefully, studying him. Pitch black eyes that gave no real indication of where they were looking, like a human's eyes did, focused on Jimin. It strangely didn't feel uncomfortable to have the intense looks of all the mermen on him, but instead it provided him with a sense of safety, security, like someone was watching out for him even though he knew there was no threats on the island, aside from the weather and potentially some poisonous fish.

But then a merman put down the empty leaf and made sure Jimin's attention was on him. It was Jungkook the red haired merman stared at him intently before he began to sign slowly. Jimin followed the movements jotting down the letters that the merman made on a clean sheet of paper in the notebook.

'Why do you always run away?'

Was left scrawled in messy handwriting across the paper from the translation.

Jimin looked at the book he had of the letters, he slowly signed, aware of the intense stares of the merman that had their gazes focused on his hands.

"I go home, because I cannot live in the sea, when the tide rises I go" Jimin signed and hope they understood.

"Why can't you stay in the water?" The merman, Hoseok asked. They all seemed genuinely confused as to why he couldn't live in the water.

"Because I can't breath in water, I would drown" Jimin responded.

"Drown?" Was signed out by Taehyung a confused look on his face.

"Die" Jimin signed back.

That got a reaction. They all looked, what Jimin would describe as, horrified.

He gave them a smile, to reassure them that he was ok.

"But you come in the water and you are ok?" Namjoon signed to him. His silver tail beating against the water.