24

"Normal" - Jimin's language "Mermen" - merman's language "Sign language" - both understand

"Mermen" - merman's language
"Sign language" - both understand

~*~
Author POV

The mer city was large. Mermen and maids lived in colonies. They were dotted about through the oceans. With hollowed out caves becoming homes, decorated with luminescent algae substituted for make shift lights in the deep dark blue water.

Being under water was natural and before meeting their human mate the mermen couldn't imagine another life. But now having experienced the human world, albeit briefly, they were curious. Curious about a life lived on 2 legs and solid land underfoot. Feet and legs such a weird concept to creatures who lived with tails.

Jungkook pushed the loose strands of his floating hair from his face, the rest  had been tied back in a loose red man bun. His hair when down usually sat at his collarbones. His red tail swished keeping him in place, the shells he wore as decorations cracking against it as he moved.

Jin lay against a bed of corals within the main living area of their set of caves. He was cleaning the dirt and grim from between his scales. Making them shine the pinky orange colour once again.

Yoongi lay on the opposing seat, asleep as he had been on the night patrol along their ocean's borders. His black, silver and purple scaled tail was still as he slept. His necklaces trailing off the side of the seat so they hung halfway to the cave floor, his jewellery resting against his cheeks and tangling with his floating hair.

Taehyung was curled up beside Hoseok, with his navy blue tail he practically blend into the dark corner of the cave, the luminescent algae highlighting his features. He was fielding with the jewellery in his ears, his hair was long and covered them usually but he still liked to wear them. Often pushing his hair back so they could be seen.

Beside him Hoseok hovered, his lime green tail barely moving. An ode to his skill and years of experience. He was a performer, working to please crowds, especially the royal family. He needed to be graceful to capture the eyes and awe of his crowds. Hoseok often mourned that he didn't have as flashy a tail as Namjoon.

The silver tailed merman who could look like a rainbow if he angles his scales into the light. Namjoon preferred the solitude of the archives in the royal caves. The precious stones that had been carved into spheres and enchanted with magic to hold the knowledge of elders and the like. Namjoon was one of the ones responsible to protect and preserve the archives.

A school of Neon tetra fish swam past signalling it was 10am, the time Namjoon had to leave to go to the Archives. Namjoon bid them all goodbye, running a hand through Yoongi's hair since he was asleep. The mermen shivered then sighed, as if saying goodbye himself.