20

"Normal" - Jimin's language "Merman" - mermen's language "Sign language" - both understand

"Merman" - mermen's language
"Sign language" - both understand

~*~
Author POV

Jimin hauled the bag down towards the dock where his boat was. The boat he was intending to take to the mainland. He had left food out for Latte and Mocha so they could eat it over the course of the 3 days he would be gone.

They had remained absent through this morning as well, but they had come in the night to eat, the food that had been left out gone. So Jimin didn't feel to worried, plus the cats had both been living and surviving on the island before he had even come along.

Jimin pushed the bag onto the boat, he had informed the mermen that he was leaving and reassured them all as much as possible before he left them the night before. He climbed into the boat and prepared to start it so that he could travel back to the mainland.

He reached down and brushed the water with his fingers, looking back to the island that had been his home for over 1 month now. The time had gone by so fast, he was too busy paying attention to the island. He forgot as long as he was in the water or in contact with the sea the mermen could find him, almost like a homing beacon.

He let out a yelp of surprise as his boat rocked precariously as 6 mermen latched onto the rim. Pushing up onto their hands and pulling their upper bodies out of the water, to rest their heads and arms against the edge of the boat.

"You leaving?" Taehyung signed, his eyes judging.

"Yes, you need to let go so I can go" Jimin signed back.

"No, we come with you" Jungkook signed quickly highlighting his impatience.

"No you stay here." Jimin insisted.

He was worried for them, if they followed him to the mainland they held the risk of potentially being captured by curious humans. Jimin didn't want them to be subjected to that, to potentially be taken from their home to be put in a lab and assessed.

The mermen all bared their teeth, looking the most terrifying Jimin had ever seen them. He was used to their almost puppy like affection.

He could barely react before Jin hauled himself on board, coral coloured tail hitting against the deck of the boat. Jimin winced at the sound, but soon watched on in fascination as the tail began to disappear till Jin had human legs.

It was like when Yoongi had done it, the way their scales moved away to reveal legs they almost looked like they were in a colourful body suit. Like the ones surfers wore Jimin found himself comparing to.

Soon the mermen were all boarding, scaly tails shifting into legs. They all then turned to Jimin expectantly.

While they had the legs of humans they still maintained all the other merman features they usually did. The pitch black eyes, the scaled faces and torsos. The pointed ears that still held the most ridiculously mismatched piercings. The braided hair and the sharp fang like teeth.

They would be way too noticeable, they couldn't blend in even if Jimin tried. Unless they all completely covered every part of their bodies.

"You're too noticable. Bad people may try and take you if they find out you are mermen" Jimin told them.

"Then we hide" Namjoon said like that was the most obvious thing.

Jimin grimaced but started the boat up, he knew they could only be out of water for 3 hours maximum before their skin began to dry out and it became lethal to their health and life. They would most likely have to stay in the bay while he went onto the mainland, he would just have to make sure they stayed out of sight.

The mermen classed it as a win when Jimin started up the boat, looking excited as they traveled by boat for the first time. Used to being in the water not travelling over the top of it in a human made contraption.

"What are humans like?" Jungkook asked out of the blue, in the mer language so Jimin was oblivious and unable to understand the complex noises he made that formed their language.

"Dangerous, that's why we must protect our mate" Jin told him.

"They used to attack us back when they called themselves pirates and floated on the water on wooden boats" Yoongi provided.

The younger of them, Taehyung and Jungkook hadn't been alive then. Looking up the elders in awe.

"We used to have to fight, they would capture and kill us otherwise" Hoseok added.

Taehyung and Jungkook shivered. Imagining having to fight these land dwelling creatures.

"It was one of the darkest times of our history. We lost so many to their nets and hunting" Jin said as he reminisced.

"So these pirates are they still out there?" Taehyung asked out of fear.

"I haven't encountered them in years, so I guess not." Namjoon stated.

Jungkook turned and grabbed Jimin's sleeve, tugging it lightly to grab his attention. Jimin took his gaze off the water to look at the red haired merman.

"Do pirates still exist?" Jungkook signed out slowly.

"Pirates? No they stopped years ago" Jimin replied, eyebrows furrowed as he thought.

Jungkook visibly deflated.

"Actually there may still be some around the Caribbean. That's where they were mostly based if history serves me well. But I am not sure, I don't really remember much about pirates. Why?" Jimin asked. Recalling as much information as he could about the subject.

Jungkook shrugged, an action he had learnt from Jimin.

"They used to fight pirates" Taehyung said, before pointing at the 4 eldest of the group.

"Really?" Jimin looked excited, moving forward in his seat as if he was impatient to ask many questions.

The 4 mermen nodded, earrings and necklaces and jewellery they wore clacking together as they moved.

"If Jiminie says pirates are gone. You don't think the cats defeated them when they invaded?" Jungkook suddenly asked.

~*~

Ah yes the great defeaters of the pirates, the deadly cats....

Anyway I hope you liked the chapter.

Next chapter we get to see the mermen try and walk around like humans, cue cute and oblivious merman acting like children while Jimin is an exasperated parent... should be fun...

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,
Winter

Deep endOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara