43

"Normal" - Jimin's language"Mer" - Merman's language"Sign language" - both understand

"Mer" - Merman's language
"Sign language" - both understand

~*~

Author POV

Jimin turned when he heard the sounds of the high-pitched hissing noise the mermen were emitting. If he had turned, he would be able to see his Grandfather sniggering like a naughty school boy at the mermen's reaction to the small felines.

Latte and Mocha were prowling up the beach towards their human, Jimin smiled. He had been getting concerned at the lack of the appearance of his cats since he returned from the mainland. His main concern was that they had returned to being feral, like he had originally found them. But seeing them walking down the beach towards him brought him both relief and joy. 

It would also seem that they had little shadows following them, kittens. Jimin waited for the cats to approach him, they sat down on the beach in the sandy part, staying away from the water Jimin was currently sitting in. Their eyes were watching the mermen warily, unknown to Jimin they were still scared of being drenched by the vengeful mermen. 

Their kittens collapsed off their wobbly feet beside their parents on the sand. There were six kittens, they all looked to him with little beady eyes. They were far from young kittens, clearly already a few months old, evidently, they had been born only a few days after Jimin had left for the mainland.

The mermen were less than impressed with the appearance of the cats, shooting off distrustful glances. Jimin lifted himself out of the shallow water, cuddling his cats seemed like a good therapy during that moment, plus he wanted to celebrate the return of some of his hearing.

When he dried his legs off with a towel from his bag his cats approached him carefully, sniffing at his fingers, before deeming him good enough and climbing into his lap happily. Jimin was equally as happy to hold his cats close, they were meowing happily back, clearly relieved to back in their human's arms. 

Jimin had left the towel across his lap, sitting crossed leg. Mocha took that as an invitation to pick up her kittens and drop them onto the towel, trusting her human to care for them gently. Jimin didn't risk moving, he wanted to keep the astonishing amount of trust his cats were placing in him currently. 

Subconsciously he was already trying to think of names for the kittens, because as of today Jimin became a cat dad to 8 cats, 2 adults and 6 kittens. He wondered if he should keep to the naming idea of types of coffee for the kitten's names. 

The mermen in the time Jimin had gotten comfortable with the kittens had reared back, still firmly in their belief that Jimin was under their magical influence. They were muttering as such in their native language, Hyun who was once a human understood both sides. He knew cats weren't the magical demons the mermen had depicted them as, he was sniggering to himself at each irritated noise from the mermen, he could understand after all.

"Would you like to hold one?" Jimin signed, before stroking along the head of one of the kittens.

The mermen wanted to say no, but the expectant look of hope on Jimin's face was too much to resist. Plus, they logically compiled together that if they held the cat perhaps, they could discover the magic it possessed. 

Jimin debated whether to offer his fully grown cats to the mermen or the kittens. He decided on fully grown cat, he didn't want to ruin the parent's trust by handing over a precious kitten. The mermen would have blanched if they didn't have scales covering their faces. 

Jimin placed the towel and kittens safely on the sand, away from the tide splashing onto the beach in a rhythmic motion. Latte was picked up safely into Jimin's arms, he was by far the most docile cat out of the parent pair. Mocha would likely fight the mermen if placed in their arms, Jimin hoped Latte would not.

Latte was happy to snuggle into Jimin's arms, content with the affectionate human. Jimin decided to let Hyun hold him first, as Latte once knew the man as a human. Jimin didn't know whether the scent of the man was still the same to his cat, he vaguely wondered if the cat was aware enough to know who the elderly man, now mer, was. 

Hyun took the slightly reluctant cat into his arms gently. Latte was giving Jimin a look of 'why are you doing this to me human?'. But nevertheless, the calm demeanour of the former human was enough to placate the unsure cat. 

Thankfully with his human knowledge Hyun cradled the cat and allowed the feline to feel comfortable in his arms. So, the cat was unintentionally lured into a false sense of security, as the next mermen was far from calm and collected. 

Namjoon had volunteered to take the cat first, as the smartest (they voted him into that spot) he was to identify the magic the cat had. It only descended into chaos from there. The cat without Jimin's awareness recognised the mermen, the grudge held for the number of times the cat has been targeted by waves of water very much present. 

Jimin watched in disbelief as Latte let out the loudest hissing sound, arched his back and fought venomously to get out of the mermen's arms, who had subsequently begun to hiss back, his was far more menacing than the small feline.

Jimin ended up with his cat springing out of the merman's lax grip and onto the human's shirt, claws digging into the fabric. So, it was safe to say the mermen and the cat were far from friends and it didn't seem likely in the future either.

~*~

So we got more mermen and cat shenanigans. I forgot how much I loved writing those moments.

Anyway I hope you liked the chapter.

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,
Winter