38

"Normal" - Jimin's language"Mer" - Merman's language"Sign language" -  both understand

"Mer" - Merman's language
"Sign language" -  both understand

~*~

Author POV

Jimin barely felt as they swum into shore. Not even as the sand gritted across his shins as Namjoon dragged himself up the beach using his arms, not wanting to dislodge Jimin on his back. But Namjoon was exhausted from carrying an extra weight on his back and having to swim along the surface so the human wouldn't drown.

It had required a great deal of strength. So now he gently turned over, rolling his tail so Jimin was now pillowed on his front, head resting on the merman's chest. Jimin relaxed into the gentle rhythm of the rise and fall of the merman's chest, what he didn't realise was that Namjoon was emphasising his breathing despite not breathing with his chest. Oxygen was filtered through the gills behind his ears and down into his lungs, he didn't need to breath like a human.

Since Jimin's hearing had been so abruptly cut off he was relying on sight and touch as his primary senses, there wasn't much to smell aside from the salt of the sea and the seaweed lining the bay. So he focused on that less.

So now he focused on the gentle rise and fall of Namjoon's chest, it gently raised him up and down as he lay curled up in a fetal position against the merman. 

"How is he doing?" Hoseok asked as he too fell onto his back against the sandy beach, tail still resting in the sea.

"He seems to be calming down, more aware I think" Namjoon responded, Jimin only snuggled closer, liking the feeling of the vibrations as Namjoon's chest moved as he talked.

"Good, we should get him up to the house. The tide should rise soon" Hoseok stated.

So with difficulty all the mermen lifted themselves out of the water, tails falling away to reveal scaled legs, much like if someone were wearing a wetsuit. They stumbled around a little as they got their feet under themselves. Eventually they were able to move around without tripping over their own feet.

Hyun remained in the water, that was the deal of his contract with the Mer King. If he took the potion to join his wife in the sea as a mer he was to never step foot back on the land as a human could. As such he did not possess the magic the mer did to make their tails into legs.

"Take care of him for me" Hyun spoke out to the mermen.

Hyun could only watch on with empathetic eyes as Jungkook lifted Jimin into his arms, legs coming to wrap around the mer's lithe waist. Namjoon allowing himself to shift himself like the others had already done.

"We will, have no fear, he is our mate after all" Namjoon spoke words of reassurance for the older mer. But the older mer could hear the question in his voice, after all they had pledged to protect the human only to deafen him by their own voices.

Hyun watched his grandson disappear as they walked further up the beach and to the path he used to walk down to come pay a visit to his wife, it had been so many years ago. He longed to see the home they had built together again, but now he was confined to the sea, the true home of his wife, whom he still loved dearly.

With that he disappeared under the waves, leaving Jimin in the capable hands of his mates, even if he wished to be with them he couldn't. 

~*~

Yoongi was leading the way, he had been the only one to come to Jimin's home. The path was lit by moonlight, so they had no risk of passing out from the heat as Yoongi had done last time he visited. 

The house was just as dilapidated as they had imagined from Jimin and Yoongi's descriptions. But never the less they carried Jimin inside, if he had been safe all this time in the home on the cliffs, it would be no different this time.

They wandered around till the found something that resembled a bedroom, Jimin had pointed there. They weren't quite sure what the bed was, but Jimin seemed happy when Jungkook dropped him gently onto it.

"First aid, green box" Jimin signed, it was the first thing he had said or done to communicate so they listened. Eventually they returned with said box, Yoongi roughly had remembered where it was as Jimin had used it on him last time he visited.

Jimin took it silently, beginning to clean and disinfect his ears, grimacing when crusted blood came from inside his ears, it was all the confirmation Jimin needed to know his ear drums had been shattered. 

The mermen were helpless to do anything as Jimin curled up and began to cry. His body shook as he pressed his knees to his chest. The mermen panicked, rushing about the house trying to bring things to Jimin to stop him crying. It was an instinctual thing to try and help their mate while he was distressed.

Jin and Yoongi managed to bring him some food and water. Jin had found a large tube of kimchi, he recognised the smell from when Jimin used to bring it down to the bay for them. Yoongi had figured out how to open the fridge and had grabbed a bottle of water, almost breaking the plastic with his talons.

Jimin allowed them to feed him, having to be barely not to cut the delicate skin of the human. Jimin seemed to be happy enough in their presence, Jin was keeping back. He couldn't help but feel guilty for what he did to his beloved mate. He shouldn't be allowed to see his mate's face, be in his presence, not after what he did to him.

But never the less Jimin urged the mer's onto the bed. They were fascinated by the smooth, soft texture and feel of the bed. Taehyung and Jungkook were bouncing like children on their knees. Jimin found himself smiling at that, the tears still glistening on his cheeks.

His hand reached out to Jin, no hostility in his expression or in his eyes. Jin took the hand and found himself pulled onto the bed as well.

~*~

Jimin is still trying to cope with his loss of hearing. He is going to be going through it for the next few chapters.

What do you think is coming next?

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,
Winter