40

"Normal" - Jimin's language"Mer" - Merman's language"Sign language" - both understand

"Mer" - Merman's language
"Sign language" - both understand

~*~

Author POV

Unknown to all, Hyun had gone to the Mer King in hopes of a cure for his Grandson. While his mates cared for him on the land, he was going to do everything he could from the sea, to which he was eternally bound. 

"Your Grandson" The Mer King was a kind, but stern merman. He bore a vibrant bioluminescent tail, the whole royal family did. 

"He is the mate to six mermen in your kingdom, in his efforts to save one of them who had been captured he lost his ability to hear the world" Hyun explained.

"I have a potion, it would return all of his hearing if he was a mer, it may work on a human. But I have not tested it on one before, so the outcome would be unknown. That is as much as I can give you" The Mer King offered.

Initially Hyun and the Mer King did not see eye to eye. The differences in their species were too unique, in the eyes of the Mer. Hyun wanted to study and understand the mer people. The King had not liked that, not wanting to feel like his people were being investigated and watched like strange creatures. 

But after many years together beneath the waves they had come to be friends and accept each other despite their differences. 

"My Grandson was born to my wife's side of the family" Hyun revealed. 

That had the Mer King turning to him.

"So he may have the blood of a mer person within him" the King answered in response, Hyun nodded his head.

"I believe he could have that yes" Hyun confirmed.

"Then the likelihood of him being able to hear is increased, that is providing he does have the blood of a mer in his body" The King spoke.

The Mer King swam to his personal potion brewer and requested the potion to be made. 

"It is a complex potion, it will take a few days to brew" The potion brewer informed Hyun.

The once human nodded his head in understanding and thanked the other mer for his time and effort. He was dismissed from the King's presence who was needed for meetings regarding their under water world. 

~*~

"So you're saying the potion could return his hearing" Namjoon asked.

"I am not sure, but that is what the King and I hope would be the outcome" Hyun stated.

"Wait you said the potion only worked on Mers, then it wouldn't work for Jiminie, he is a human remember" Taehyung pointed out. 

"I am aware of that Taehyung, but you should also be aware, Jimin was born from mine and my mate's daughter" Hyun revealed.

"Your mate?" Jungkook looked confused.

"My wife is a natural born mer" Hyun shared.

"So that means Jimin had mer blood in him potentially, since blood is passed down families" Yoongi concluded.

"That explains a lot. When I went to the library there were no histories of any mers having human mates" Namjoon shared, but then they looked to Hyun in confusion.

"I am not the natural mate of my wife, she lost them before they were united. She knows she felt the bond fade. So we are together by love alone not by the fated mating bond" Hyun told them.

"But since your wife passed down her blood through your family, Jimin most likely has it, which is why we can have a mating bond with him despite him being a human." Namjoon concluded. 

"Exactly" Hyun responded.

Their conversation faded to silence as they all thought about the information they had shared together. But immediately their heads snapped up when the felt the presence of their mate in the water, he was calling for them.

"We do not share the news with Jimin until we have the potion, lets not raise his hopes till we have it" Namjoon told them, they nodded in agreement.

~*~

Jimin had initially wanted to be alone, to think. But the more time he spent alone, the more he felt scared. He didn't mind being alone before he lost his hearing, because he knew what was around him, it was calming. With the abrupt loss of his hearing everything seemed so distant and it scared him.

So without thinking much of it, he slipped his shoes on and packed up his bag with some food and general supplies. Heading towards the place he knew he would no longer feel alone, the bay with his mermen.

So now here he stood, with his feet in the waves, allowing the cool water to lap over his skin. He waited, he hoped Taehyung wouldn't bowl him over, he could see out to sea, but he couldn't hear them if the approached underwater. That thought alone was daunting.

Thankfully the mermen approached carefully in Jimin's line of sight, they didn't want to panic or startled the recently deafened human. They instead pull themselves up onto the beach as Jimin takes a seat in the shallow water, it was getting to the end of summer, but the weather was still pleasantly warm.

His mates coiled around him, Jungkook dropped his head down onto Jimin's lap, allowing the human to run his hands through his tangled hair. 

"Are you well?" Yoongi dared to sign to the human. It was a tentative question, they didn't want to put Jimin into a depressive spiral.

"As well as I can be" Jimin's hand left Jungkook's hair momentarily to give his response.

It was neither positive or negative in its response. So they began to sign about all sorts of topics, to distract Jimin's mind. Making him feel less alone. It was only now when they truly appreciated the fact that they communicated by a form of sign language, it would have been a lot more difficult to communicate without it. 

Jimin was grateful to his mates, they were aware of the negative mindset he was in. They didn't push or pry to try and force him to share his thoughts. They acted as normal, trusting him to decide when he wants to come to them of his own accord. 

That was what he truly loved about them, their ability to accept him no matter his state.

~*~

So how was that?

I hope you liked the chapter.

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,
Winter