34

"Normal" - Jimin's language"Mer" - merman's language"Sign language" - both understand

"Mer" - merman's language
"Sign language" - both understand

~*~

Author POV

Jimin was scared to return to the beach again. He assumed that the people who had tried to capture him were from the company who had captured Jin, they were probably seeing if they could try their luck and find more mermen to experiment upon. 

Plus he guessed his status as an idol wouldn't really work next time, nor the excuse of 'finding inspiration'. So he kept his head low and tried searching without raising awareness to himself, if any of his fans caught him and shared his location then he could be put at risk. The downside of fame, especially if he was going against a corporation that may be in collaboration with the Government.

He wasn't going to lie, he missed the mermen, wanting to rush to the beach and be comforted by them each day he was unsuccessful in his search for Jin. But he valued their safety more than his own comfort. He couldn't risk them coming to the beach and being caught as well.

"Jin where are you?" Jimin dropped his head into his hand, tired and frustrated. 

He just wanted to bring Jin home, he wishes he never left the island, he had been happy. Truly happy. All because he didn't want to let the greedy CEO of his company down, despite the man not truly caring for him, just the money he could bring into the company.

He wishes there was a way just to locate Jin, maybe he could track him. Like the way the mermen are always able to find him when he has his hand in open water, but so far they have only found him from his hand in the sea. He wasn't sure whether other sources of open water would work, like rivers or lakes.

Jimin left his own apartment, when he wasn't working he didn't have bodyguards. So he was easily able to slip out of the apartment complex. He wanted to walk, clear his head. Allow himself to focus, staying in one place was stressing him out, it only seemed to highlight his incompetence and inability to find his mate. 

 Plus he had become so used to the outside from living on the island and constantly moving around, that now sitting in his apartment made him feel trapped and stir crazy. He knew of a park near his apartment, it was out of the way and not many people knew about it. It didn't have fast food trucks or commercial activities, it was more of a nature park than anything. It was a perfect place to cool off and relax away from the strenuous society life. 

~*~

He approached the park since it was late at night it was completely quiet. Maybe it was too dark but Jimin paid no attention to that. He walked through the park, allowing the silence to embrace him. It was as peaceful as ever.

Jimin could hear the river running along the side of the path, its calm rush brought him peace. He had become so accustomed to water over the past few months living on the island so the sound of water was now his normal. It put him on edge not hearing the gentle rush and lap of water in tides and rivers.

He looked around before slipping off the path and down the grassy hill lined with trees to the side of the path. It led him straight to the river, it was shallow but someone could lie down in it and float without risk of hitting the river bed. Jimin found himself pulling off his shoes, stepping into the water that reached midway around his calves, it was refreshing and quite cold.

"Jin where are you?" he asked, projecting his very thought through his body, hoping somewhere that his merman mate could hear his call. 

"I won't stop searching for you I promise" Jimin vowed, it was good to get it all of his chest, like balloon popping and allowing him to breathe. 

~*~

Jin was currently trying to rub the water from the river across his gills, breathing like a human was starting to burn at his lungs. It was unnatural for his species, used to filtering oxygen through water through the gills. Gills are located behind a merman's ears, the long pointed ears they have hide them from others. It prevents them from being seen in an attack, defending an important point on their body.

He dropped his head back into the water, the river had reached a shallow point where it seemed to get wider so the water barely covered his body. So he had been forced to walk most of the way instead of swimming like a human would.

Thankfully he could see the river ahead was beginning to deepen again allowing him swim once again. Though the river was heading in one direction, Jin wasn't sure if it was the correct one, rivers ran two ways and he had picked on, a 50-50 chance. 

Perhaps he had chosen the wrong one.

But the moment he got into the deeper part of the river, something seemed to call out to him. It was strained but noticeable. Like someone was too far away but their message was still present. Jin couldn't help himself, he had to know what it was.

The fresh water was muddling his senses, navigating in salt water was far easier, it was his natural habitat after all. The idea of land and rivers were all but unknown to him, so he was just winging it as he went.

But the further he traveled down the river the clearer the message became. It felt like searching, coming, follow.

Jin focused everything he had upon the message, the feeling.

When he closed his eyes, swimming without a splash, but when he truly realised what it was he couldn't help but smile, a sharp toothed smile. 

Jimin was calling to him, using their mating bond, placing himself in water as a natural beacon. He was guiding the merman. And as an merman would do for their mate, he followed the message with complete and utter trust.

Knowing he would lead him home.

~*~

I can't believe we are at 60K reads! Thank you so much!

Also remember a few chapters back when I said there was a hint to the future in the chapter. It is coming in the next few chapters :)

What do you think it was?

Vote?

Comment?

Bye,
Winter