xxxiii.

3rd Person's POV

Today's the day Yuzuru Hanyu can grab the prestigious title of being a two-time Olympic champion. Last night, he was filled to the brim with anxiety and worries of having to live up to everyone's expectations. He knows he can do it but its inevitable that sometimes, the pressure gets to him, thus affecting his performance for the worse. 

But as usual, ever since he met her, it was Luna who always soothes his mind and soul. Luna always knew what to say to make Yuzuru's unnecessary thoughts vanish into thin air. Now that he's thinking about it, Luna's overall impact to Yuzuru is enormous. To him, meeting Luna has made him into a better athlete and just a better human being in general. The thought of losing her in a matter of seconds still makes him terrified but whenever he feels that way, Luna pops up out of nowhere with her breathtaking smile that could make everything better. 

"Penny for your thoughts?" Luna's voice pulled him out of his thoughts as they both sit backstage. Yuzuru was taking a quick water break from his warm-up as a few minutes from now, the last group for the men's free skate will be up.

Yuzuru just looks at Luna as he stood up. "Can I just say, you look beautiful by the way." 

Luna was taken aback by Yuzuru's sudden complement, her cheeks lightly blushing. "W-what? That's so random."

"I know, right? I don't know, you just look really pretty and cute." Yuzuru put a finger on his chin as if he thought deeply of what he was going to say before pinching Luna's cheeks. Luna pulled a face and gripped Yuzuru's hand away.

"Ouch! That hurt you know." Luna grumbled in response, caressing her cheeks like it would alleviate the pain from Yuzuru's pinching. 

"Oops. Sorry. Not sorry." Yuzuru laughed as he ran away from Luna who was about to punch him. After reaching the end of the room still laughing, Yuzuru jogged back to where Luna was seated and smiled innocently.

"Aren't you a wee bit nervous?" Luna asks, her head tilted to the side.

"Hmmm. No. Why should I? You're with me so I have nothing to worry about. You also said that as long as I do my best, no matter what happens, everyone will still love it." Yuzuru replied immediately as he placed his hands on his hips while he spoke. With Yuzuru's response, Luna mustered a huge smile as she realized how much the man in front of him grew in only a matter of months. Words can never describe how proud she is of Yuzuru. 

"All righty then, Mr. Hanyu," Luna said, also standing up in front of him as she reached for his face, "lemme just fix your hair. We don't want them flying all over the place as much as it did yesterday." Slowly, with her gentle hands, her fingers run through Yuzuru's soft locks in an attempt to brush it back.

Luna could not look at Yuzuru's face, only at the motion of her hands, her mind falls deep in thought. Unconsciously, one, two, three drops of tears fell from her eyes until she started sobbing softly and quietly. Yuzuru, on the other hand, stared straight at her face as she was combing his hair. As soon as he saw Luna cry, he already knows what's going on inside her head. Despite this, he refuses to initiate a conversation about it. He doesn't even want to think about it.

And so, instead of talking, Yuzuru comforted the quietly sobbing Luna by engulfing her in a bear hug, Luna's face buried in his chest. He put his chin on her head as he gently played with her hair. He knows she loves it when Yuzuru plays with her hair. It was, according to her, calming and soothing. 

As they hug in silence, Luna calmed herself and pulled away from the hug. She looked up to Yuzuru and pouted. "I'm sorry. I'm just so proud of you." Luna said, violently wiping away the tears from her face.