xlii.

- you can play the music now - 

3rd Person's POV

Cheers. Nothing but deafening cheers can be heard from the arena, not only coming from the audience but also from all the athletes around the world who were watching a masterpiece unfold in front of their eyes. 

After the words are exchanged between the legends in the middle of the ice, Luna feels her knees buckle. Luckily, Yuzuru is able to catch her and disguise it as a hug. The last thing they need is for the media and the press to know Luna's true condition. 

Yuzuru's eyes widen a bit, noticing Luna breathing too fast and uncontrollably. Heck, he could even feel her heartbeat strongly from her chest. This is not good, he thinks. Yuzuru leans a bit closer to Luna's ear and whispers "You're not okay. We should go." His lips start to quiver as he tries to stop his tears from falling. However, Luna only pulls away and smiles.

"I-I'm okay. Let's take our final bow, shall w-we?" Luna says as she squints her eyes a bit from the fatigue while breathing heavily. Before Yuzuru could say anything, Luna just squeezes Yuzuru's hand and turned away to wave to the audience who were still applauding. Luna lets go of Yuzuru's hand and started to skate around the rink, picking up countless RJ plushies and chrysanthemums from the audience. There were also Pooh-san plushies for Yuzuru of course which she didn't forget to pick up as well.

As if everything was in slow motion, Yuzuru just watches Luna skate around happily like she's not hurting; like she's not tired. On her face is a genuine smile. She's really happy. She did it. She finally reached her goal. And Yuzuru is glad that he was able to be with her every step of the way. Sure, there were mishaps along the way, but what matters is now, the two of them. Her. Yuzuru thought that his world would only revolve around skating. After all, it's all he's known all his life. But then one day, this mysterious girl appeared out of nowhere. The boring book of his life suddenly had chapters filled with adventure, thrill, and love. Love; something he never expected to arrive at such a crucial time of his career. Since then, Yuzuru knew he wanted these chapters to last until the epilogue of the book. 

But life is unfair, isn't it?

When he knew that these chapters aren't going to last until the end of his book, even though it pains him, he still decided to stay. He tried to extend those chapters. 

But it looks like they will be coming to an end sooner than he wanted. 

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is they are happy. She is happy.

"-uzu! Yuzu!" He snaps out of his thoughts and looks toward Luna who was calling him over. "These plushies and flowers are heavy. Help me out, will you?" Luna shouts over the crowd, making Yuzuru smile immediately at how cute his girlfriend is. He skates toward her, grabs everything that she's holding, and placed it on top of the barrier before pulling her wrist gently to skate back to the center of the rink. 

"O-oi. What's wrong? We're already finished, Yuzu-kun." Luna says nervously, as the crowd quiets down watching something unusual. Yuzuru just puts a finger up to her lips to shush her, making the crowd laugh at the two.

Yuzuru then clears his throat.

"I did not prepare a fancy, emotional speech for you for this moment, Luna-chan. I'm not very good with words, you know that. But I do think I was able to express everything through our skate earlier. Was I?" Yuzuru chuckles nervously and Luna nods in response and smiles fondly.

"You made this season, this year, very memorable to me. Dare I say that the time I spent with you is the most memorable year of my life. It is, and it will always be the most memorable. If this is a dream, I would never want to wake up anymore. But you're here, I can feel your touch, and- OUCH! Why did you pinch me?!" Yuzuru shouts in pain, making everyone watching them laugh out loud.

"Because I want to prove to you that this isn't a dream! All right, okay. I'm sorry. Please continue." Luna says as she giggles and gestures for Yuzuru to continue after kissing his cheek as an apology.

"Very funny. As I was saying, you are the best thing that happened to me. Yes. Not skating. Not anything else. You. So, I want to take this one and only chance to..." Yuzuru stops and fumbles around with the pocket of his pants. 

"Yuzu... this better not be what I think it is," Luna whispers, her chest tightening even more than it already is. However, Yuzu ignored her and pulls out what he had been searching for, making the whole arena erupted in cheers and squeals of excitement and happiness.

"I know this isn't part of our plan and it may seem too early but... Luna, I promise to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once-in-a-lifetime love," Yuzuru says as he holds up a breathtaking ring from his pocket, one he had made so that it is the only one of its kind. 

Luna is speechless, to say the least. She did not expect Yuzuru to do this. After all, she considers herself occupying only a couple of chapters in Yuzuru's life. She is happy. She's extremely happy that her heart is aching so bad. She looks up to Yuzuru, not being able to hold in the tears anymore.

"Is this okay? This is unfair to you, proposing to a dying woman... Yuzu you deserve so much more. You deserve the world. I don't want to be selfish and have you tied to me." She whispers so that no one could hear.

"It's alright. You are my world, Luna. You're the only one I want. You're the only one I deserve. Let's be selfish together. Sounds good to you?" Yuzuru whispers back, cupping Luna's face who was shivering from all the sobbing. 

Before Luna could talk, Yuzu continued. "Now it's your turn to not hold back for me."

Luna's eyes widened. It's the exact same thing she said just before they skated together earlier. And as if something clicked, she sobbed harder. She tried covering her face with her hands but Yuzuru stopped her and instead, he wipes away her tears. Though Yuzuru also had tears in his eyes, he chuckled at how adorable Luna is. 

"You got me there." Luna then speaks up, chuckling a little as she wipes the tears from her face gently.

"So? What do you say, Luna Saito? Ms. Olympic Gold?" Yuzuru smiles fondly as she looks at her with endearing eyes.

"All right. Let's be selfish together, then," Luna finally answers for everyone to hear. And if it was even possible, Yuzuru is now the happiest man alive. 

He expects it, but he still didn't want the happiness to fade so soon.

-----------------------------------

Hi everyone!!! How have you guys been doing? I hope you are doing better than I am.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I hope I was able to tug some heartstrings! The next one will probably be an epilogue already omggg. We've come so far! Thank you all for staying and reading!

Stay safe and stay golden, lovelies! ✨