Chapter 12

Songs for this chapter:

•Let Me In by Grouplove

•It Will Rain by Bruno Mars

•In The Lonely Hour by Sam Smith

•Happy Little Pill by Troye Sivan

•Find A Way by Safesuit

•I Miss You by 5 Seconds Of Summer

•No Air by Jordin Sparks feat.
Chris Brown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newt's POV

For a moment, at first, I thought it was just my head playing games on me. But when the doors closed with Mavis, Thomas, Alby, and Minho trapped inside, it really happened. Mavis went inside the Maze. It feels like my whole world just ended, right there on the spot. I can't breathe. She's gone. Mavis is gone!

"No!" I can't compare what's happening right now as I scream and run towards the doors, pounding on the hard stone. "No! No! No! No! Nooo!" I shriek between each pound I make. "Mavis?! Thomas?! Can one of you hear me?!?!" I call out, not caring how ridiculous it is that I'm yelling at the doors. There's no answer.

I feel someone pulling me away from the door, and my chest immediately aches, my heart shattering into a million pieces. Everyone around me is murmuring to one another about what just happened. My head feels like it's spinning, and I fall to my knees, my eyes welling up with tears and there's a lump in my throat.

A few minutes later, everyone starts to head back to the Glade, and I march to my hut, grabbing two blankets. I really don't need a bloody pillow, but it's gonna be a little chilly tonight. I'm going to wait for those doors to open all night, hoping that my friends are still alive, especially Mavis.

A sharp intake of breath escapes from my mouth as I slam the door shut behind me, and walk over to Frypan's kitchen to bring some food along with me, since I won't be going to dinner later. As I enter the kitchen, Winston, Frypan, and Gally are there. It looked like they were having a conversation before I arrived. "What do you want, Newt?" Frypan asks me. "I'm grabbing some food. And I don't care what you say." I mutter as I walk over and grab two slices of bread, spreading some mayonnaise on one and then ham and cheese on top before putting the other bread slice on them. I carefully place the sandwich in a bag and grab an apple. "Are you going somewhere?" Winston asks me. "Yeah. If any of you shanks need me, I'll be waiting in front of the door." I reply, the tone in my voice cracking at every word. I ignore Gally as he rolls his eyes, and I walk to the door, which is not opening. The builders were supposed to fix Frypan's kitchen door because it keeps getting jammed all the time, but they keep forgetting to do that.

In a single second, after at least twenty tries, adrenaline rushes in my blood, pumping too fast that I don't think twice but kick the door open, hard. It flings open and pieces of wood clatters to the ground. I walk away. My body is numb, and all I can think of is Mavis.

"Hey psycho! You just broke the door!" I whip around and see Gally pointing to the clattered door on the ground. I can feel every Glader's eyes on me, but I could care less right now. Gally's scowling face makes me so sick that I want to walk back over there and punch him in the face. I hate him. I hate him so much!

"Wait. Are you crying?" The git walks over to me. I snap back to reality and wipe my tears away. "I'm not crying." I murmur, but the cracking in my voice gives it away. "Yes you are." He replies. "No I'm not, you idiot!" I growl at him, taking another step toward Gally. "Then why are there tears running down your face?" He snaps. Whenever someone asks you if you were crying, they would be at least comforting or empathetic, but Gally, on the other hand, is none of the above. Only annoyance.