Chapter 4

Songs for this chapter:

Disturbia by Rihanna (the song kind of reminds me of Mavis' and Thomas' dreams)

Stand By Me by Ben E. King (I love this song so much!)

Mad World by Gary Jules

I Won't Let Go by Rascal Flatts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alby introduces me to Chuck, and we shake hands. There is something about this young boy that I somehow recognize, but where have I seen him? When? How?

Alby leaves to go check on Newt, leaving me and Chuck. We start having a conversation about how they all felt the same thing like I did when they first came here, as we start walking, searching for Thomas.

"Basically, it's the same story for all of us." Chuck says in his high child-like voice, even that sounds familiar. "We wake up in the Box, Alby gives us the Tour, and then we get our own shelters with our own beds, but we have to share, though." I nod, as if I'm listening to every word that comes out of his mouth. I am, but I'm still distracted about the Maze. What's inside that thing, and why is nobody answering any of my questions?

We soon find Thomas, sitting on the ground with his back against a tree trunk. "Thomas!" Chuck yells his name, and the dark-haired boy turns his head, looking in our direction. He gets up and walks towards us, and by the time he comes over, I hear my stomach growl. Chuck turns to me with a shocked expression. "Was that you?" He asks, and I nod. Ever since I arrived at the Glade, I realized how starving I am. Do they have any kitchens here?

"No worries, I'll go get some snacks for all of us. Be right back," The
twelve-year-old boy says before he runs off. Pretty soon, me and Thomas start talking about the maze. I realize that Alby wasn't kidding about me and Thomas being the same; we both want to figure out what's behind those metal walls and find our way out of here. "So they're not answering any of your questions either, Mavis?" He asks. I'm really glad that he didn't call me "Greenie" like the other boys are. "Yes. It's getting really frustrating, to be honest." I exclaim, and he nods in agreement. I look back at the walls, and I begin to notice that the doors are still open. Without hesitation, I start walking towards my designation, the doors.

"Wait! Look, I know this sounds crazy, believe me, I know. But, I think you should stay here." I hear Thomas say as he tries to stop me by grabbing my arm. But I jerk it away. "I just want to take a look." I say, carelessly. Before I could take another step, Chuck is back and he gets in front of me. In his hands are three small apples. "What are you doing?!" He asks frantically. I groan and walk around him. If nobody is gonna answer my questions, then I'll just go in that freaking maze myself!

I'm only two miles in front of the open doors when I hear Thomas and Chuck shout, "Mavis, wait!" from behind me. "I just wanna look." I say, not turning around. My eyes are glued again on the Maze. "You can look around all you want, but not in there." Chuck says. "Why not? What's in there?" I ask. And I better get an answer this time. "We don't know." Chuck and Thomas say in unison. "But I just know what I'm told, Mavis." The young boy says. So we're not "supposed" to leave, huh? Well that's not gonna stop me!

Sighing, I continue what I walked over here for. The two boys are still behind me, telling me not to do it, but I ignore them. I stare at the vines and different passages inside, millions of questions run through my mind. A small voice tells me not to do it, that I should listen to what the others are saying, but I wave that voice away as I stand in front of the doors.

Suddenly, just before I could take a step inside, a great heavy force pushes me away and slams me against the ground. I wince and groan from the pain from earlier, I grit my teeth as I search for whoever pushed me. Once I do, I'm face-to-face with the only boy in the Glade who hates my guts. "What is it with Newbies and the Maze?" Gally says to himself. He makes me so angry that I want to spit in his face and kick dirt in his eyes.