Chapter 28

There's a loud bang once the trigger is pulled, and there's a ton of shouts, and I hear somebody shout, "Mavis!", but I don't see who as Newt pulls me away and covers me like a shield with his body.

I hear a wordless cry of rage and I look to see Minho plunging forward Gally and begins to beat him up ruthlessly. Newt and a couple of guys try to get him off of Gally, leaving him bloody and beaten on the floor, moaning and groaning.

I turn to Thomas, expecting to see him on the ground and a bullet hole in his chest, but there isn't. Wait a minute! Someone pushed us out of the way, but who---

"Thomas," We look at Chuck and I gasp as I see a bullet hole in his chest. It was him! He falls down and Thomas catches him, frantically telling him that it's going to be okay. I crouch down on Chuck's other side, and he reaches his hand out and I grasp it, like it was me who is dying instead of him right now. He takes something out of his pocket and gives it to Thomas. It's his small wooden figure, the one that helps him think of his family.

"No no, Chuck, you're gonna give it to them yourself. Remember I told you that? Me and Mavis told you that." Thomas chokes out, tears running down his face. "Please. Take it. Thank you. Find my mom and bring it to her. Tell her that I loved her." Chuck whispers. "We will." I promise. He looks at me and I no longer keep the tears from falling. "Mavis, can you sing to me, one last time?" He asks. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I don't entirely think that this is all Gally's fault, and I don't think that half of the workers are dead, either.

I open my eyes and look down at Chuck, and I brush a tear away from his cheek. "Okay. I will." I say, but I can barely hear my own voice. I clear my throat and start to sing the chorus line in the song I sung in the forest that day with Newt when Chuck and Thomas were watching us.

"Just close your eyes
You'll be alright
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe, and, sound,"

Chuck gives me a small smile as his last breath comes out of his mouth and his smile fades away a little. His grip releases my hand. He's gone. Chuck's dead but his eyes are still open. Strangled cries escape my mouth, and I hear Thomas from above me, crying nonstop. Something dark and scary rises in me, a rush of rage. Of revenge and hatred. And it's not towards Gally. All of the emotions explode all around me. I hug Chuck very tightly before I slowly lay his head down on the floor, leaning forward and pressing my lips to his temple. I hear sniffles and sobs from the Gladers and then, feeling numb, I yell at the top of my lungs, "DAMN YOU, PAIGE!!!!"

I hear something open from behind us, and then there's another sound, "Mavis!" It's Newt, but it sounds like he's a couple yards away behind me. I didn't want to be separated from him, but it's too late. Two people had to grab Thomas by his arms when he kept going back for me and Chuck. All of a sudden, I let out a loud cry as one of the men in the black suits and masks picks me up and hoists me upside down, over the shoulder. I start to flail my arms and legs, but the guy puts his arms on the back of my legs to hold them still. He carries me through the long hallway to the door where everyone else went to. I look back at Chuck and Gally's unconscious body and I start to hiccup a little, tears cutting down my red cheeks once more. "Goodbye, Chuck." I whisper as I watch him disappear after the man turns to a corner, and more tears fall down my face.

The person leads me outside and I shield my eyes as a bright light from the outside world blinds me. When I slowly adjust, I look over and see a helicopter. I close my eyes as the man takes a few steps more to the helicopter and puts me down. All I can think about is Chuck. Where's Newt? I think, desperately. Where is he? I need him!

A hand grabs my own and I snap my eyes open. I look up to see Newt inside the copter. I reach up, grab his other hand, and he pulls me up and I sit between him and Thomas, afraid that we might get separated again. The man who brought me outside and to here takes off his mask and sits across from us. He's a middle-aged man with long dark hair that's pulled back in a ponytail. "You kids all right?" He asks us. We don't respond, instead, we stare at each other, with a surprised and sad look on our faces. "You got them?" A voice calls out from across, and the man shouts a yes back. As soon as the helicopter starts to fly away, me and Newt look out the window and see the building, the maze, and the Glade disappearing. What will happen to the others that stayed behind back in the Glade, the ones that didn't get rescued?

I look away and say my silent goodbye to Chuck and everyone that I met that died, including Alby, in my head. "Don't worry. It's okay, you kids are safe now. Everything's going to change." The man says. I stare at him, confused at what he just said. Everything is going to change? What did he mean by that.

I look at Thomas and he's looking down at the blood stained figure that Chuck gave him in his hand, tears slowly crawling down his cheek. "I promised him. We both did." He says, and he looks at me. "We both promised him that we'd get him out of there and take him back home." I nod, looking down at the ground. I can't stop seeing him in my head, Chuck, lying on the floor with the bleeding bullet hole in his chest.

I hear the men having a conversation from across the other side, and I look up. I know that voice! I look around and spot a man in his early thirties with short Ivy-league hair in the color of brown and dark blonde and shaved face. No, it can't be. It can't possibly be him. But it is.

"D-Dad?" I say, and the men stop talking to turn their heads toward me. The dark haired man's eyes widen and lit up in recognition as he slowly rises, and I do the same. We stare at each other, like we're staring at each other's souls. "Mavis? Is it--is it really you?" He says, his voice sounds like it's in slow motion. I nod, "Yes, dad. It's me." "Oh my God, you're alive!" He exclaims, reaching down and pulling me to him, hugging me. I hug back and bury my face in his chest, tears welling up in my eyes again.

We pull away as he says, "I finally found you! I finally got you back!" I nod several of times, feeling so happy and speechless. "We're on our way to a safe place now. Do you remember Edmund Frost?" I think for a moment, and then nod. "He's my friend and your godfather. And do you remember aunt Scarlett?" Once again, I nod. "Your mom's sister. She'll be there, too. They're both worried about you." That's when I remember about my mom and brother, and I look around. "Where's mom and Georgie?" I ask, and my father frowns, his eyes are now filled with sorrow.

"After you were sent to that maze or whatever that place was, they took Georgie away because he had the Flare. And your mom," he hesitates, and I put my hand over my mouth. Georgie, my own little brother, caught the Flare. My mind immediately goes back to the screen that showed the person going berserk. "And then?" I ask. "Sweetie," He gravely responds, "they're both gone. They killed your mom when she was trying to stop them, and Georgie died within two days after that." My heart feels like it's shattering again. I lost so many loved ones in one day. What else could get worse?! I start to think about what I just found out back at the lab.

I wave that thought away and ask my dad the most important question, "Dad, Dr. Paige said that she's been watching me for a long time. And that I'm the Special and a "descendant". Besides that I have healing powers," I hear the others gasp behind me. I turn to them, "I'll explain later." I quickly reply before turning back to my father. "Besides that, what does it mean?" He stays silent for a while. The long-haired man casts him a glance, but my dad keeps his eyes on me, as if he's staring right through me.

"Sit down, and everyone listen," He says finally. I sit back down next to Newt and he grabs my hand. We all look at my father as he continues, "We have no idea how they got rid of you kids' memories, and it might take a while for you all to get them back." I raise my eyebrows, already knowing that my own memories are back. "And if you think we know a way to get them back, well forget it. We have no idea how or what they did." He starts explaining how the world became like this when the sun flares infected almost half of the world, and that the Flare came from an ecosystem that fell apart, and it also came from insects from South America. And then he looks at me as everyone else starts talking about what he just told us. "And the reason you're called the Special is because of the gift, a gift that's been passed down in our family for years. Something from your ancestors." He says, quietly.
"But why? What does Paige want from me?" I ask.

"You," my father replies, "the last descendant of the Evans family. Or, I should say, the last gift of the Evans family."

{I cried while writing this chapter. Poor Chuck 😭😭💔. I imagined Mavis's dad as Jensen Ackles (Yes, Dean Winchester💜💜!!), and Mavis's mom is Paula Malcomson who plays
Katniss's mom in the Hunger Games, and Georgie is Blake Cooper (Chuck) but imagine him with blonde hair. Hope you like this one, even though it's sad, but ya know what I mean. There's only two more pages left of this story, and then it's on to the second book, which I probably won't make until this week or next week. I already got it planned out and what's gonna happen and all. Love you guys! Later!}