Chapter 1

Mavis' POV

What sounds like a metal door closing and an elevator ascending comes through my earlobes, and it feels like I'm rising.

My eyes fling open and my breathing increases, my chest going up and down and I think my heart stopped or something. Creaking noises surround me as I keep my eyes on what's above me. Where am I? And, how did I get here? With the darkness all around me, I get no answer. But the important question is, where did I come from?

Mavis. Mavis. My name. That's all I could remember about myself for now. With a sudden jolt, the room jerked upward like a real elevator would. The stale, dusty air fills my lungs and I press my hand to my chest, coughing.

Terrified, I look around. It looks like I'm in a cage like some wild animal. Am I even wearing any clothes? I look down to make sure, and sigh in relief as I see myself wearing a plain navy blue V-neck t-shirt, jeans with ripped holes where my kneecaps are, and my feet are hidden in a pair of light brown laced up boots. My hand quickly goes to my hair and I can feel it that its in a braid. What surprises me is the small woven leather bracelet on my wrist. Where did I get this? Then I realized; my memories of who I was, or what happened, is gone. How can this be possible?

"Hello?" I call out to the darkness. When I get no answer, I start to panic, "Hello?! Somebody?! Help me, please!!" Sinking to the floor, I put my forehead on my knees and hug my legs, bringing them close to my chest. Loud sounds of chains clanking and pulleys fill my head, and I cover my ears, my eyes burn for tears to come, but they don't. The sounds echoes the room while this...this...., thing- I can't tell if this thing is an elevator or not -bounces around, making my heart stop. Please don't break down! I think.

My whole body numbs even more and I feel my stomach about to explode as the elevator sways back and forth like a swing at a playground. This only makes me feel worse. I want to cry. Finally, I can feel my cheeks getting wet with tears, and I use my hand to wipe them away. I don't know what to do, except just sit here, alone, doing nothing, and wait for this thing to take me to wherever it's taking me.

How did I get here in the first place? What's going on? Where am I? Where and who are my family? A million questions fill my mind once more and I know there won't be any answers to them. But all I could remember were faces, staring down at me. But none of them were familiar to me and they were all a blur. And it felt like I was drowning, in water? I don't know. The more I think about all this, the more my head keeps hurting.

Minutes turn into hours as the room keeps swaying away, and I wish that I had a watch or something to know what time it is. But I know that I've been moving for at least an hour.

I feel my fear and worries fly away like a bird in the sky, and it's now replaced by curiosity. I need to know where I came from, and what was going on! So I waited, for a sound. A voice. Anything. But, just as my hopes were coming back up inside me, nothing comes, and I slump down to the metal floor again.

Suddenly, with a groan and a clonk, everything stopped, and fear goes up my spine again, and my blood freezes. The sudden holt threw me across the hard, cold floor, and I put my hand over my head, groaning in pain. I get back on my feet, and huddle against a corner. It's all silent. All I could hear was my breathing and my heart beating very fast like its about to come out from my chest.

Two minutes passed, and still nothing. I look around in the dark, thinking that there's a way out of here. But it looks like there isn't, and the only thing that's accompanying me right now is the cool metal and pitch black of darkness. I rest the back of my head against the metal and growl under my breath. "Where the hell am I?!" I shout in frustration, echoing off the walls and it slowly fades away. That's it! I've had enough of this!

But before I could pound on the walls, screaming for help, a loud clank rings out above my head and I backed away to my corner, wrapping my arms around my legs as I pull them close. Bile fills my throat, but I'm keeping it down in my stomach.

I look up and a bright light blinds my eyes, and I turn away, covering my face with my hands. Is this it? Am I finally at where I'm supposed to be?

My chest twists into a knot as I hear voices. Voices!

"Whoa, look at that!"

"Looks like we got another shank here, fellas."

"It's a girl!"

"A girl? In the Glade? Impossible."

"I call dibs!"

"Is she cute?"

"How old is she?"

"Hope you enjoyed your trip, Greenie, 'cause there ain't no way back."

"She looks hot! What?"

"Dude, really?"

Shank? Glade? Greenie? This is all too confusing! The voices above me are strange and odd, but by the sounds from their deep and gruff tones, I know that these might be boys up above.

Suddenly, someone comes down, making the metal floor skake, and I refuse to look up to see who it is. "Hey. Hey, Greenie. Wake up!" The person kicks my boot, and without hesitation, I look up to see a tall boy with a hard expression on his face, muscles, and short dark blonde hair towering over me. He looks down at me with a scowl on his face. "'Bout time." I hear him say under his breath, and before I can react, he grabs my arm very hard and picks me up, holding me like a rag doll. Hands rain down on me and takes me up to the surface. All I could hear from them were, "Welcome to the Glade, Greenie."

{So welcome to the first chapter, and I hoped you all enjoyed it. I thought this one got longer then the prologue but whatever 😋. I made a set on Polyvore for you guys to see what Mavis' clothes looked like in this chapter (username is nerdbucket). Other than that, Happy New Year, and later. Remember to like this story and follow me on Twitter, @Kelsey07396308. Also, if you can't find the set, here's the link: http://www.polyvore.com/m/set?.embedder=9572834&.svc=copypaste&id=144853188.}