Chapter 3

So for some of the chapters, there will be songs for each one.

Songs for this chapter:

•"Nothing To Remember"
by Neko Case (this song's from The Hunger Games on the "Songs From District 12 & Beyond" CD, if you haven't heard of it)

"The Forgotten" by Green Day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the group of the boys leave, Alby starts taking me around, something he calls the Tour. He starts telling me about the Box. He explains to me that they get a new kid once a month and supplies are delivered once a week. Other than that, they don't know anything about where the Box goes or how it operates. Once, they tried to send someone, a Greenie, back in it, but the Box wouldn't move until he got out. I try to imagine that, but my mind is so full of questions that I keep my mouth shut.

"The Glade is divided into four parts. The Gardens, where we grow our own food. The Blood House, where we raise and slaughter livestock." Alby begins and sees my expression. "Am I scaring you?"

I stay silent as I shake my head. But my heart dropped to my stomach when he started talking about the Blood House. "So, you already know the Homestead, right?" He asks, and this time, I nod. "And lastly, there's the Deadheads, which is the graveyard hidden in the woods over there." He points out to the trees and I turn towards the direction. I think I've always had a passion for forests, and I don't know why. Perhaps they're always so calming when you step foot on the forest floor and makes you feel like you're part of it? Who knows.

"So congratulations, you're the new Greenie here, and don't worry, you'll like it here." Alby says as he pats me on the shoulder. I turn to face him. "Do you know who sent me, well, all of us, here?" I ask him. He shrugs. "That, I don't know, Mavis. Strange, you and our other Greenie, Thomas, are the same." Are we? Are me and Thomas the same? My eyes are soon distracted by the walls surrounding the Glade. But before I could ask, someone pushes past me, roughly.

"Any help, Alby?" I look and see its the boy from earlier, the one that got me out of the Lift. What was his name again?

"No, we're fine. Mavis, this is Gally, one of our Gladers. You two, met, earlier when you came here." Alby introduces me to Gally, and he turns and stares at me. I realize that he's taller than me when he's towering over me, like he did when he got me out from the Lift, and I move back a bit. "Yeah, hi." He grumbles. The way he said was so rude that I want to smack him, but I miss my chance as he walks away.

"Did I do something wrong?" The words come out of my mouth before I could stop them. "I don't think so. Why?" Alby asks. "Because I think Gally hates me." I say, and he laughs. I look at him with a weird look. "He doesn't hate you. This happens a lot to him when Newbies come, he's the same to Thomas. But he doesn't hate you." He says. No, he hates me. I turn back to the walls. "I have another question," I point towards the four walls. "what's that?" Alby follows my finger and his expression becomes lifeless a bit. "That, Mavis, is the Maze. Go in there, and you'll never see the sun again." His words haunt me. The Maze. It's a maze? Whoever sent me here was probably not thinking straight or something, because it doesn't make sense. Why me?

Alby tell me that I'll spend the next two weeks training for a different job until they find me one that I'll like. I look around and see a shed full of weapons. I ask him if we can go look over there, and he leads me over to the shed. "This is where we keep our gardening tools and stuff." He explains as I look around inside. There are rows of different type of gardening tools, like Alby said, swords, and knives. I gasp as my eyes land on the archery bow and next to it are six arrows. "Does anyone use that?"
I ask, pointing at the wooden handmade bow.