Chapter 22

*A week later*

"Mavis, c'mon!" Minho calls out my name. He and Thomas are already ahead of me while I'm trying my best to keep my eyes open and not run into a wall. "I'm coming." I yawn, and run up to them. "You okay?" Thomas asks.

"Yeah, I'm--" I begin, but once my stomach starts to churn, I quickly run to a corner and vomit up the remains of Frypan's dinner from the night before. It tastes twice as bad as it is coming out of my mouth then up my throat. I hear Minho mumble, "Not again." "This is the hundredth time you threw up this week, Mav." Thomas tells me after I'm finished. "Thank you for the already-shared information, captain obvious!" I snap at him, but he's right. From Sunday to this week, which today is Wednesday, I haven't been feeling well, and it's starting to get on my nerves. Am I ill? Clint and Jeff thinks it's just the stomach flu, but that doesn't explain why I'm also tired so much.

Once I look up at Thomas, he has a hurt look on his face, and I immediately start to feel bad. "Tom, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you." I sigh. "It's okay. I know you didn't mean it, li'l sis." He says, holding out his arms, and I walk into them, wrapping my arms around his back, and he wraps his around mine, too. One of the things I like about Thomas, is that he treats me how a big brother would treat his younger sibling. And whenever I accidentally snap at him, he forgives me. He, Newt, and Chuck are the best things that ever happened to me, and I don't want to lose them.

"All right, can we please stop the love fest here?" Minho interrupts and we both roll our eyes as we let go of each other. "Mavis, I think you should go back to the Glade and get some rest." He tells me the seventh time today. "No. I'll be fine. Let's go, we might be running out of time before the doors close." I say, running past them. And pretty soon, I hear them following behind me, and Minho takes the lead in front of me.

For awhile, we keep running in every direction and I see something on the ground up ahead. I kneel down and take a closer look at it. It looks like a piece of red cloth. The guys kneel down next to me and look at it. "What is it?" Thomas asks. "It's Ben's." We both look at Minho, and he says, "Something must've dragged him." "How?" Thomas asks again. I look at him, "Not how. Where."

Minho starts running towards a tunnel and we follow him. It's a long tunnel and when I look down at the edges, there's nothing but pure darkness. Like the abyss. I quickly back away and stand next to Thomas. The three of us stand in front of a large circular door and it opens right away as we step a little more close. Why did it---, the devices!

As if Thomas read my mind, he takes out the first device and I take out the second one from my backpack. They start beeping and stop immediately. We look at each other, completely confused and shocked. Before any of us can say something, a red line appears out of the hole, like it's scanning us.

"What the hell was--" Minho begins, but then the ground starts shaking. I shove the device back in my backpack, hoist the bag of arrows and my bow over my shoulder, along with my pack, and run after my friends.

Everywhere we run to transforms, the walls moving and rotating, and there's a booming sound in my ears. All I can do is follow the boys as fast as I can. But they're faster than me, sprinting through corridors so easily while I keep stumbling on my feet. There's no way I'm gonna catch up to them. But Minho comes back and hoists me on his back, and he runs back to Thomas with him carrying me. The three of us almost get smashed by a piece of the wall, collapsing down on us. And we almost get squished when Minho throws me over to the other side of a wall moving upward, and he comes down, followed by Thomas. Then, it stops.

There's another churn in my stomach, and I manage to hold it down as I crouch down on my hands and knees, retching up in a corner, sending a searing pain in my head and legs. I'm trembling and light-headed, and Thomas catches me by my arms. "Let's get out of here." He says, and neither me or Minho don't say anything.