Chapter 14

Songs for this chapter:

•Eye of the Tiger by Survivor

•Photograph by Nickelback

•I Will Remember You by
Sarah McLachlan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Gally first saw me, Thomas, and Minho came out of the doors alive, he looked like he couldn't believe his eyes. Seriously, he made a perfect "O" on his mouth. I try my best not to laugh as I smile and wave at him. He glowers back at me, and after Minho explained to him what happened, he said that he wanted everyone to meet him later for a Gathering. Obviously, this is about me and Thomas.

After I get cleaned up and change into clean clothes, I put my hair in a braid and start walking to Homestead where everyone is walking to a large room. Newt isn't here yet, so I find Thomas sitting in a corner and I sit next to him. We're both silent as the others assemble in the room. The last ones are Newt, Minho, and Gally. No Alby. I hope he's doing okay.

Once everyone is here, Newt begins to speak, "Alright, quiet down, everyone. In place of our leader, who's sick in bed, I will be taking over this Gathering in his place," I notice Gally rolling his eyes, but I ignore him. "As you all may know, after yesterday's fiasco, our Keeper of the Runners and two of our Gladers were trapped inside the Maze, where no one survives in. But, they showed up here, alive and well, and the next thing you know, they tell us that they killed two Grievers." Everyone is quiet as they listen to Newt, and then Gally speaks up. "Things are changing. There's no denying that." He says, crossing his arms, and we all stare at him. "First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight, and then Alby. And now our Greenie and our very own Mavis, here," Gally turns to us, "has taken upon themselves to go into the Maze." He turns away as he continues, "Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Yeah," Frypan says. "but they did save Alby's life." Gally shrugs. "Did they? And what about the girl? All of a sudden a Griever dies from staring at her?!" He starts to laugh, well, cackle. "It probably wasn't her fault, you
buggin' shuck face!" Newt snaps at him, and I smirk. Gally glares at him as he continues, "For three years, we have coexisted with these things. And now," He turns to face us again, scowling, "you've killed one--no wait, two of them. Who knows what that could mean to us." Gally walks over to me with a sly, hard look on his face. "This is all your fault, you little bitch," he mumbles to me. "You've brainwashed them all, but not me. And I know who you are, and what you're up to. I'm gonna find out what, you hear me, Medusa?" The name he called me hurts me a little, but I don't say anything as I glare up at the jerk. And Medusa? She turned her victims to stone, she didn't kill them!

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I hiss in his face, and he backs away, still scowling at me. "All right, all right, enough you two." Newt comes between us, and Gally shoots me one last mean look before turning around, and I flip him off. Newt smirks at me and I do the same back at him as I sit back down. "Anyway, Gally, what do you suggest we do?" Newt asks. "They have to be punished." Gally answers. My throat tightens and my heart drops to my stomach as me and Thomas exchange worried glances. The boys start to protest.

"Come on." This came from Chuck.
"They killed two Grievers, man!" Clint.
"You can't do that!" Jeff.
"You know what Gally, ever since Mavis stepped foot here, you have been nothing but a heartless jerk to her!" My heart leaps again as Winston said those words. All of the boys, including some of Gally's cronies, joins in with him and shouts at Gally about how horrible he is to me. "They're right, Gally! Like Alby said, the next time you say something horrible to Mavis, I'll punch your nose out!" Newt yells at Gally, and he scowls at the blonde boy. When we make eye contact, he winks at me, and I can't help but blush as I wink back at him.