Chapter 26

Songs for this chapter:

•Because Of You by Kelly Clarkson

•Apologize by Timbaland feat. OneRepublic

•Ready To Run by One Direction

•Strong by One Direction

•Eyes Open by Taylor Swift

•I'm A Mess by Ed Sheeran

•Human by Christina Perri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was me. It was me, Thomas, and Teresa. We worked for them. The Creators. We did this to everyone. And that stuff they gave me, the shot, that's how Grievers die looking at me. It was some strange type of drug.

I slowly open my eyes, expecting to see the ceiling at Newt's hut, being curled up with him in bed. But I'm not. And I'm not in the hut. My eyes slowly adjust to the blue sky above me and the hard cold stone on the other side of me. I move a little on the dirt. I'm in the Pit.

Why the hell am I--Gally! He did this! When I get out of here, I'm gonna go find him and beat the living daylight out of him. Suddenly, I start to hear voices. I get up and sit on the ground. "G-Guys?" I call out, slowly. "Mavis?" I hear Thomas and Teresa, and I look at the wall. They must be right next door to me.

"Love?" I look up and see Newt kneeling down in front of the door. I crawl over to him and when I look down at my hands, someone's tied them together. I look up at Newt as I crawl closer and he takes both of my hands in his. A lump forms in my throat. "It's gonna be okay, my love. You're gonna be fine." He says, but I look in his eyes and they're filled with sadness. Seeing him like this is making me remember what happened in my memories, and I try not to cry. I did this to him. I did this to my boyfriend.

"Mavis," I hear Teresa from next door. "Yeah?" I answer. "Are you all right?" "No." There's nothing after that. "What happened?" I ask, breaking the silence. "Gally has everyone convinced that you and Thomas are the reason all this has happened." Teresa replies. "Yeah well, he's been right so far." Thomas says, and I nod, even though he can't see it. "What do you mean?" Newt asks me. I look up at him, and I let go of his hands and I lean my back against the wall.

"Thomas?" "Yeah?" I hear him. The tears fall as I choke out, "Thomas, w-we did this to them. We worked together. We worked for the Creators. WICKED. I would always see you sitting across from me and Teresa, we were friends before all of this happened. And...I was the Special. I don't even know what that means, but.., we did this. I did this to them. To everybody. To Gally, Alby, Chuck, Minho," I look up at Newt, and I start to cry. "And you, N-Newt." I wipe my face with my hands. Gally was right. I am a monster.

"None of it matters right now." Thomas says. I want to tell him that it does, but Newt speaks up, "He's right. It doesn't matter. Any of it. 'Cause the people we were before the Maze, they don't even exist anymore. These Creators took care of that. But what does matter is who we are now and what we do right now. The two of you went into the Maze and found a way out." I look back up at him and I finally see Minho and Chuck over at the hole that has Thomas and Teresa in it. "Yeah, but if me or Thomas just stayed and played by the shitty rules, Alby would still be here." I say.

Newt gets up and looks back down at me. "Maybe. But I know that if he were here, he would be telling you the exact same thing." He says, and he looks at Thomas and back at me. "Both of you, pick your asses up and finish what you've started. 'Cause if we do nothing, then that means Alby died for nothing and I can't have that." After hearing him saying all of this, I start to feel a little better. "Thanks, Newt." Thomas says.

"But there's only one problem. How are we gonna get past Gally?" Chuck asks. He's got a point there. How are we gonna get past the schmuck? Minho walks over and kneels down to cut the ropes around my wrists with the knife he has in his hand. "We'll figure something out." I say as soon as the ropes are free from my wrists. I rub my left wrist with my right hand, and I do the same thing with my other wrist. "And Newt," He looks at me, "This is happening so fast, but I must ask you something." I say, and he waits for me to continue.

"Will you run with me?" The words come out of my mouth. It's silent for a while, and Newt just keeps looking at me. His eyes no longer have sadness in them. They start to light up. Finally, he replies, "I will, Mavis." A smile tugs on my lips and pretty soon, he unlocks the door and I climb out of the hole and embrace him in my arms. I lean forward and press my lips to his. He immediately sinks into the kiss.

I hear Minho clearing his throat, but me and Newt ignore him as we keep kissing. "Hey, umm, guys, okay, already. I think we're good. We should get going." Thomas says and we pull away, our faces both in shades of red. "So what's the plan?" Chuck asks. "We need to distract Gally." I say, and everyone goes with it.

Minho tells me to hide in a bush or something that's close to the door, and gives me one of his swords. I thank him and run off, waiting for the plan to start. I see Gally crossing off names of those who died last night on the wall. Pretty soon, two guys come carrying Thomas, who's pretending that he's knocked out, and another guy has Teresa with her hands behind her back and ties her up to a post. The guys drop Thomas and he plops to the ground.

"Gally, why are you doing this?" She asks. "Do you honestly think that banishing us will solve anything?" Gally looks at her. "It's not a Banishing. It's an offering." He says. "Offering, my ass." I murmur as I keep watching them. "Are you listening to this?" Teresa looks at the other Gladers. "Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy. If you stay here, the Grievers will come back, and they're gonna keep coming back until you're all dead." "Gally." Jeff speaks up. "It doesn't feel right, man." "Yeah," Winston joins in, "what happens if Thomas and Mavis are right? Maybe they can lead us home." Gally just gives them a solemn look before replying, "We are home." I look over and see Minho nodding to Newt, who nods to Chuck, and he secretly walks over to me. "Ready?" He asks in a whisper, and I nod, tightening my grip around my sword. Here goes nothing...

Gally orders two guys to pick up Thomas and orders a couple more guys to go get me. That's my cue! Before
anyone could react, I jump out of the bushes and punch Gally's friends, each one in the face. One grabs my arm and says, "What do you think you're doing, sweetie?" "Hey, Seth," The guy looks over and Newt punches him in the face. Seth lets me go as he falls to the ground and Newt catches me. "Keep your bloody paws off my girlfriend." He says, looking down at the unconscious boy. I smile and peck my boyfriend's cheek.

Pretty soon, we're all fighting until we huddle together in front of the door. Minho has his sword pointing straight at Gally, shooting him a look as if he's warning him. And he is. He comes back over to us, our weapons pointing straight at Gally. "Are you trying to scare me?" He asks. "No, we're not trying to scare you, you're already scared, alright? I'm scared. We all are. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spend the rest of it in here." Thomas says, and I nod in agreement.

"Gally, if you, at least, have a decent bone in your body, I want you to listen, okay?" I say, resting the sword on my hip. "We don't belong here. This place isn't our home. We were put here. We were trapped here. But at least out there, we have a choice. We can make it out of here, I know that. Me and Thomas do. I know that you guys believe us." I look over at the Gladers. "So if you do, step forward and join us. Think about it, would you rather get out of here and be free? Or be stuck here for the rest of your lives and wait for the Grievers to return and kill you all?"

It's quiet for a moment, until two Gladers, I think their names are Adam and Eric, step forward and join our group. Then Deshawn, Clint, Jeff, Frypan, and Winston walk over to us, and my lips form into a small smile. I already know that Chuck's with us. Thomas lowers his spear and says to Gally, "It's over, Gally. Just come with us. We can go home, once and for all."
Gally only stares at us, but from the look in his eyes, he really wants to go home, even though he thinks that this place is his true home.

Finally, he says, "Good luck against the Grievers." I stare at him in disbelief, and I shake my head. But I reply, "And to you, too. Good luck with..all of this." Newt takes my hand and I look at him as we all turn to the door. "Ready?" I ask. "Yeah." He says. And then we all start running. I look over at my shoulder to take one last look at the Glade.

We won't be going back there, ever. We are finally going home. I'm finally going to be back with my family.