Chapter 2

The boy that got me up from the elevator, I heard someone call him Gally, is on the ground, groaning from when I elbowed him in the chest so he could let go of me. He had a strong grip and it started to hurt my arm. My feet takes off running, taking me with them while some of the boys help Gally up. "We've got another Runner!" I heard someone shout behind me, but I don't stop. While I'm running, I realized that I was sent to....a field, it looks like. But what surprises me more is the large metal walls surrounding each direction, I can see some ivy and dark spots on it from the distance.

The group that's way behind me starts whooping, cheering for me. I think they're also trying to yell something but I can't quite understand what they're saying, until I feel a branch hitting my forehead. I land on the ground and feel my back slam against the earth before I black out.

Thomas' POV

As I watch Gally, the asshole that he is, lifts the girl up to the surface, right in front of our feet, we all stare down at her in amazement. I've been in the Glade for only three days, and I thought Alby said that no girls entered here before?

"Mind telling us your na-," Gally begins as he grabs the girl's arm again, but as soon as he does, she elbows him in the chest, causing him to let her go and she takes off running. I almost laughed out loud when that happened.

"We've got another Runner!" Someone shouts while we all turn to the running girl that's about five yards from us. "Damn look at her go!" The other guys start to make cat noises and cheer, but me, Chuck, and Newt keep quiet and watch. "With those kind of legs, she could win in a bloody sprint race." Newt says in his British accent. Of course, he's talking about the girl's long, skinny legs, but he might have a point there. "Who knew, right?" Chuck exclaims excitedly. I turn to look down at him. Then his expression changes as he keeps looking out to where that girl was running, and when I look up, I begin to notice, too. The next thing I know, we're all shouting, "WATCH OUT FOR THE--" but we said it too late as the girl hits her forehead on that tree branch and gets knocked out.

"That's gonna leave a mark." A guy says while laughing. How could that be funny? That girl just got knocked out. "The two of you, go get her, and take her to the Homestead, and no one touches her, ya hear me?" Alby instructs two boys to go get her and they oblige, running towards the tree where the knocked-out girl is at.

"Newt," Alby calls his name, and Newt turns around to face him. "bring bandages, and some water." "On it." He says before taking off. Alby then turns to me and smiles, "Strange, isn't it, Greenie?" I slightly shrug. Ya know, I'm really starting to get annoyed that everyone here keeps calling me "Greenie", but it's kind of better then "Shank". But there's something about that girl that makes me wonder; have I met her before? I don't remember my memories at all, except my name, and pretty much, all the other guys here are the same.

But I know that I've her somewhere before. But where?

Mavis' POV

My dreams take me somewhere blue and hard to describe. It's almost like a laboratory or something.

"Mavis," A bunch of different voices says my name, and then everything starts to spin a little as I saw a needle entering my arm. What was that?

"Mavis, WICKED is good." A voice, a woman, tells me. The last thing I see is bubbles coming out of my mouth when I was under water.

****

When I wake up, my head hurts. I raise my hand and I feel my fingers trace the the soft piece of cloth that's wrapped around my forehead, covering the small bump that I got from earlier. I push myself up to a sitting position and look around. It looks like I'm in a wooden cottage or log cabin, and it's quiet. Too quiet. Was that all just a dream, besides the other one?

I slowly get up, wincing as I do. I must find whoever brought me here (not to this place, where I'm still unaware of, but this small cabin-like thing), and explain everything to me. I slide my legs off the small bed and get up, looking around to see if there's anything to defend myself with. What? I might have to if one of these people are dangerous. I see a small table that's across from me, so I stand and see some knives, just lying there. I've never used a knife before, or at least, I don't think so. Anyway, I don't think I've used one before, so I have no idea what I'm even doing.

Looking from side to side, making sure no one is watching me, I carefully pick a knife up, it's a very nice one, the blade perfect and sharp at the tip, and tip-toe out the door.

But as soon as I open it, the group of boys are in front of me. I point my knife as one of them, a dark-skinned boy, tries to come near me. He backs away along with the other boys.
"N-Now, I d-don't want any t-trouble, but, where am I? Who are you people?" My voice shakes out the words as I keep my grip on the knife.

"Nowhere good, miss." The boy said. "Just put the knife down, and slim yourself. Drop it," My eyes don't leave his sight as I dropped the knife. I suddenly have an odd feeling to trust this boy. I look around until my eyes meet a pair of brown ones. The boy's dark hair is short, like ear length, and I can almost see the muscles on his arms from the blue shirt he's wearing. Do I know him?

"What's your name?" I ask the boy in front of me. "Alby." He answers, and I give a slight nod to him. "What are we gonna do with her, Alby? Which Keeper she gonna get?" Someone shouts out from the crowd somewhere. Keeper? I look around more. I see Gally, with a dark glare on his face as he meets my eyes, and a shiver runs down my spine. And it's not good. I turn back to Alby and see a small smile on his lips. I can feel my own forming the exact same smile, "Can you tell me where I am?" I ask, this time, more calmly.

"You're in the Glade." He answers. "What's your name?"

"Mavis." I tell him. You know something, I think I could trust Alby, because he doesn't look like he's bad or anything.

He turns around to face the crowd and says, "Mavis, our new Greenie!" The boys roar with something between cheering and laughing. I wanted to ask what "Greenie" meant, but I don't say anything as I just stand there like I'm frozen and stare at everyone, especially at the boy with dark hair and brown eyes.

Thomas' POV

Mavis. Her name is Mavis, my mind tells me. I think I heard that name somewhere before, but I can't remember where, when, why, or how I do, but I just know.

"Hey, Thomas," Alby calls me over and I slowly walk over to him. "Mavis, this is Thomas, our other newbie. He arrived here three days before you came." He introduces me to her, and I cautiously hold out my hand. She, with the same sober expression, takes it. I saw a flicker in her eyes, wondering if she knows me or not.

Mavis' POV

As I shake Thomas' hand, I can't help but think that I've seen him somewhere before, but I can't put my finger on it.

But one thing's for sure, who sent me here? And why?

{So it's finally 2015!! 2014 went by so fast didn't it?! I want to thank @Bambieiswriting for favoriting the book first, and liking my Mavis set on Polyvore.! Thanks again! 😄! Okay, so what do you think of it so far? And do you think that Mavis and Thomas might know each other? Dundundun! *Dramatic tone*. Sorry, I had to do that. 😜.! Anyway, leave a comment and like! Love ya!}