Chapter 9

{I recommend you guys to listen to "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith for this chapter, and while you're reading this, too. But wait until you get to the bottom part.}

"You have got to be kidding me?!" Newt growls at the door. "Just ignore them, they might leave." I whisper, and he turns his attention back to me with a smirk on his face, his eyes are a darker shade of blue like yesterday. He leans in, but the door knocks again. Newt growls under his breath as he walks over to the door. "Not this time, you bloody--" He begins, but stops and freezes as we both see Alby standing in the doorway, and behind him are the
Med-jacks. Newt's cheeks flush in embarrassment, he probably thought that Chuck or Thomas or someone else was knocking on the door.

"Mavis?" came Clint's gentle voice as he and Jeff walks in, and I climb back into bed. "It's okay. We're just here for your checkup." "Are you all right? Do you not feel so dizzy anymore?" Jeff asks. "Yeah." I answer, softly. Alby sits down in a chair next to my bed. "Mavis, what's going on here right now is something we call a Changing. We usually have it when someone gets stung, like Ben. But you, on the other hand, fainted. So we're just gonna ask some questions about why or what caused you to faint, okay?" Alby says, and I nod, looking up at him. "After the doors closed with Ben inside, is that what caused you to pass out?" I answer yes. The next following questions are basically the same, and Clint and Jeff asked me about the scar, which I still have no idea about that thing. "I...I have something to say." I say, slowly, and they all look at me. "Yesterday, when me and Thomas were in the woods, Ben said he saw us, and that this was our faults. How could that be true? I just got here, and I don't remember anything." I say, and my voice starts to crack again. Newt orders the Med-jacks to leave, and I slightly wave to them as they leave. They wave back at me and shuts the door behind them. "How?! I mean, look what he also did to me! He touched me...he touched..." I trail off as I start to cry. Newt calms me down by stroking my hair, and Alby rubs my hand. "It's okay, Mavis. It's all over. Just rest now." He says as I keep sobbing a little. "Alby," Newt says and he looks at his friend. "I'll be the only one to protect her. No one else." Alby tells him that he already knows that, but then Newt snaps as he shoots straight up, "No, when I mean by me, I mean me. No one else, not even that git, Gally!"

"All right, calm down, Newt." Alby demands, shooting him a pointed look as he rises from the chair. "We don't want to start an argument in front of Mavis, do we?" I turn my head over slightly and look up at Newt, and his expression turns from hard to soft as his gaze follows mine. He kneels back down and he looks down at my braid, tracing it with his fingers. My eyes get heavy as soon as he whispers, "Go to sleep." and I drift off, with Newt's face still in my head.

Newt's POV

Mavis falls asleep as soon as I whispered, "Go to sleep." to her. I smile down at her as I keep stroking her braid. My mind is reeling right now. Mavis, the first ever girl who entered the Glade. The girl who's curious about everything (besides Tommy, of course). The girl who knows how to shoot an arrow about a yard away. The girl who Ben was sexually harassing to. The girl who almost cried in front of everyone when Gally insulted her in her own face. The girl with the beautiful voice. The girl who I promised to protect no matter what happens. The girl....who I'm falling in love with.

"Newt, c'mon." Alby nudges my arm, and I look up at him. I shake my head. I'm staying right where I am, in the Homestead with Mavis. "I'll stay here if you don't mind." I whisper. I don't want to wake her up. "Guard the door outside if you're staying, then. I want to talk to you." Alby says. I nod and he leaves. I sigh as I look down at the sleeping girl. I look back at the door to make sure he isn't standing there, watching me like a hawk, but he isn't. Without hesitating, I lean down and plant a soft kiss on her cheek.

I keep my eyes on her as I slowly back away to the door, and step out into the night. Alby waits for me by the door with a lit torch. "So...you wanted to talk to me?" I say. "That's right." His expression remains sober as he slowly takes a step forward. "Tomorrow, me and Minho are going in the maze to see if Ben is still alive. And Minho reported that he saw a dead Griever last time he was in there." I blinked. That wasn't what I expected to hear, but a dead Griever?! No one has ever seen of those nasty buggers before, or, so I thought. "Oh." I reply. "And I've noticed some differences going on around here. Around you." Alby says, and I look at him. He doesn't know about my feelings for Mavis, does he? "W-What do you mean?" I ask. "Newt, you like Mavis, don't you? I mean, like her, like her?" He knows. I gulp as the blush creeps from my neck to my face.
"Y-Yeah, I do." I look down at my feet, and Alby pats me on the shoulder. I look back up at him and see a smile on his lips. "You're not mad?" I ask, totally baffled with shock. "No. Newt, I knew all along. From the moment you caught her on the first day at the tower. And when you two made eye contact." He says. I swallow again, hard this time, and quickly avert my eyes a bit, feeling my face flush a deeper red. I could hear my heartbeat accelerating in my ears, beating so fast that I'm expecting it to pop out of my chest. "Well," I say, adding a small and weak chuckle. "It's true. I love her." "Congratulations." Alby smacks my shoulder. "When are you gonna tell her?"

"Soon." I respond, and he nods. "Well, see you in the morning. Meet us at the East door." Alby gets up. "Later." I say. "Have a good night, Romeo!" He calls over his shoulder as he walks away. I laugh a bit. Romeo? Really? I sigh as I lean against the wall and stare up at the night sky.

*****

"HELP! NO, PLEASE! NEWT!!!" The screams wake me up and I jump from where I was laying down on the ground. The evening air has dropped to a cold temperature and I'm chilled to the bone. "NEWT!! HELP ME!!!" The familiar scream returns and it freezes my blood. "Mavis!" I run to the door and open it, seeing Mavis jerking and thrashing around in the bed, wailing and screeching. The covers are thrown on the floor. I run to her side and yell, "Mavis! Wake up!" She lets out a terrified scream as her eyes remains shut. "It's nothing but a nightmare, Mavis! Wake up! You have to wake up!" I yell one more time before her eyes fling open. Her chest falls up and down rapidly, and her gaze falls upon mine. Her eyes are wide with terror and her breathing doesn't slow down. "Oh, Newt." She wraps her arms around my neck and starts to cry on my shoulder. "Shhh. It's okay, I'm here." I whisper as I rub her back, soothing her.

It's like this for a while, and then she leans away and I look at her
tear-stained face. I wipe them away with my hand, and she gives me a weak smile, and I smile back. "I'm sorry you had to see and hear that." She says, her voice sounds a little hoarse from her crying and screaming. "No, no, it's fine, really. You needed me. And it's okay, I get nightmares, too, sometimes." I say, and she looks up at me. "What are they like?" She asks. I take a deep breath before answering, "I see people, but they're like a blur. And it feels like I'm drowning in water. And I keep hearing a woman saying,--" I begin. "Wicked is good." Mavis softly replies, and I gape at her. "You have the same dreams?" I ask, and she nods. I thought that me and the guys were the only ones here who have those kind of dreams.

It's quiet for a while, but I clear my throat and get up. "Newt," Mavis says, and I look down at her. I didn't notice that our fingers are intertwining together. "Can you stay with me?" She asks, and my heart leaps. "Y-Yeah. Sure." I say as I pick up the sheets from the floor and walk over to the other side of the bed. We lay the blanket on its place on the bed, and I crawl underneath the covers. I rest my head on one of the pillows as Mavis rests her head against my chest. I slowly run my hand up and down on her back.

I want to treasure this moment right now, it feels like heaven, Mavis sleeping right next to me with her head resting on my chest. I've never realized before that I craved for love, until now. I'm not planning on going to sleep anytime soon, I want to remember this moment. To listen to her breathe softly and feeling her. Touching her gentle skin, not in the way Ben had touched her. The jealousy and anger that I had when Ben wouldn't shut up about her before he was banished, and/or whenever she and Thomas were together. All of that's gone. Away from me. I soon fall asleep with a grin on my face, dreaming about Mavis in a long white gown.