Chapter 23

We make it back to the Glade and everyone is waiting for us as we arrive. "Found anything?" Zart asks. "I think we found a way out of here." Minho replies, and everyone starts to get a little excited as they follow us. I walk over to Newt and he wraps his arm around my shoulders. He knows that there's something wrong with me, but he has no idea what's going on, either. "Everything go all right, love?" He asks, and I shrug, nodding.

Thomas starts explaining that we might get out of here once and for all, which catches every boy's attention, but Gally doesn't look convinced. "You all realize what they're really trying to do here, right? Because what if they're lying? What if there isn't a way out?" He snaps at us. I roll my eyes and ignore him, but Thomas looks like he's had enough of Gally's crap. "All we're trying to do is help you!" He yells at Gally. "Help us?! You just got here, and here you are, thinking that you know so much about the Maze! You and Mavis have been here for a week, okay? I've been here for three years!" The idiot says. That does it! I brush Newt's arm off my shoulders and step in front of Thomas, facing Gally, scowling at him.

"All right, so what! You've been here for three years, Gally! So what does that tell you? That maybe you should try doing something for once!" I snap at him. Everyone "Ooohh!" at Gally, and his face turns red. "You stay out of this!" He shoots me a warning glare, and I shoot one back at him. And my then I lose it. Completely, utterly lose it.

"You are a complete ass! Who the fuck do you think you are, thinking you're the leader of this place, while in reality, you're not! You're just a dick who wants everybody to do what you want! We want nothing to do with you! That's why you're so rude and abusive -- no one even likes you!" I scream in his face. If I wasn't numb right now, I would've surprised myself from my screaming, like everyone else is, even Gally. He looks at me with a scorn, "'Cause that's how it goes here! A little bitch like yourself should know that by now!" He shouts, and pretty soon, tears run down my face.

"I hate you! I seriously hate you! WE ALL DO! I have no idea how Alby even puts up with you. Oh I know, it's because he couldn't stand you! And I don't blame him! In fact, if he was awake and standing right here, right now, he'd probably agree with me, you snotty, impulsive, hotheaded, idiotic, rude mother--" Before I could finish screaming at my rival, I feel Newt's hand clamp over my mouth and pulls me against his chest, taking me away from the group. I thrash around in his arms and scream into his hand. He takes me back to the hut, shuts the door, and lets me go.

I shoot him an angry look. "Why did you do that?!" I screech, but he remains calm as he replies, "I know you're upset with him, but you can't let him get to you like that." I groan, trying to slow down the tears, but they won't go away. I clap my hand over my mouth as the choking sounds start to get loud. "Mavis?" Newt's worried about me now as he puts his hands on my shoulders. "I-I'm fine, really." I say, clearing my throat, but more choking sounds come out. What is going on with me?

I walk over to the mirror and stare at my reflection. Ever since I've been here in the Glade, I've lost a little weight. But, what I'm seeing in the mirror is shocking. I furrow my eyebrows. I'm getting a little fat, but not like normal fat. I have been eating a lot lately, even when I'm not hungry. I look at Newt from the mirror and his eyes scan my body. "Do I look this bad?" I ask, and he shakes his head.

Later, I leave to take a shower and I come back to change into some clean clothes and put my hair in a braid. Suddenly, there's a knock at the door and I go to answer it. I open it and smile as I see Teresa. We both greet each other, and she says, "You two have to come with me." "Why?" Newt asks behind me. "It's Alby. He's awake." Me and Newt exchange a look and we leave with Teresa to the Homestead. When we get there, Thomas, Minho, and Gally are there. I look over at the bed and see Alby, sitting on the other side, his back facing us. He's okay. I say in my head as I smile in relief.

"Alby?" Newt slowly walks over to his friend. "Alby, Mavis, Thomas, and Minho may have found a way out of here." Alby looks up at him, then at Minho and Thomas. He slowly turns to me with sad eyes, and my smile fades away. "We can't leave," He slowly says, turning away from me. "Why not?" Newt asks. "I remember." Alby says.

We all stare at him as he continues, "I remember...you two." He looks at me and Thomas, and my heart drops to my stomach. Alby motions me to walk over to him, and I look at Newt, who only shrugs. I walk over to Alby and he doesn't lose my sight as he says, "You were the favorite, Mavis. Her favorite. Always. Why?" His voice starts to get loud, and I back away. "I don't know what you're talking about, Al--" I begin. "Why did you do it?! Why did you and Thomas come here?! I did everything for you! Why, Mavis Evans, why?!" He starts screaming, and I hide behind Minho and Thomas.

"Alby stop! You're not making any--" Newt begins, anger rising in his voice. "A traitor! She's a traitor! Her and Thomas! Don't believe anything they say, they're some kind of weapon the Creators made to use against us! They're liars!" Alby screams, and I really want to run out of here. Run out into the woods and be alone for awhile.

I feel Teresa's arms around me and the tears return. "Aha! I knew that there was something fishy about you two!" Gally roars out at me and Thomas, laughing. I could care less about what he thinks right now. Finally, Alby starts to calm down and I look and see him staring at me, with droopy eyes. "Mavis, I-I'm sorry. I didn't know what happened there. It was like something was controlling me. Controlling my mind." He breathes out. I take a deep breath, staying quiet.

Winston comes in, his eyes widening. "What's going on?" Gally stops celebrating and stares at the butcher. We all look at him as he says, "It's the doors. They won't close."