Chapter 17

Once we are out of the woods and back to the Glade, we all find a giggling Chuck. "Chuck, what is it?" Thomas asks him. Chuck points out what's in front of him. "Girls are awesome." He laughs out. I raise an eyebrow as I look to where he's pointing to. Oh, that. I say in my head as I see the Gladers in front of the wooden tower, covering themselves with wooden shields and some of Frypan's pots and pans, protecting themselves from something--or someone--that's throwing rocks from the top.

"Leave me alone!" A familiar girl's voice yells down at the guys as she keeps throwing more rocks down at them. They all move away and duck for cover as we walk over to them. "Throw one more rock, and--" Gally begins but gets hit in the forehead with a rock. A loud laugh escapes my mouth and I have to quickly hide it with a cough. I'll have to thank the girl later for throwing a rock at Gally.

More rocks come raining down on us and we move out of the way. "Take cover, y'all!" Frypan says as he comes walking by us, his head in one of his large bowls. I walk over to him after a rock almost hits me in the head. I feel someone pulling my arm and the next thing I know, my back is against someone's chest, and when I look up, Newt wraps his arm around the front of my stomach. "I don't think she likes us very much." He says. I can tell that she doesn't. Winston is on my other side, covering the three of us with what looks like a large, thin piece of wood. Should me or Thomas yell up to her that we're both here or something?

It's like this for another five seconds until Thomas shouts up to the girl, "Stop! It's me, it's Thomas!" The rocks stop coming down, and I look up to see the girl peeking down at us a little bit. "I-I'm coming up." Thomas says, and she pulls her head away. Everyone puts their shields and stuff they used to protect them down, and Newt unwraps his arm from me and I look at Thomas. He looks back at me, "I'll go up first. And if she wants you, I'll call you up." I nod before he climbs up the ladder. We all stare at him until he gets to the top.

For the next few minutes, it's silent. "What's going on up there?" Gally calls up. "Is she coming down?" Newt asks as Thomas looks down at us. "It might take a while." He calls down to us. I wanted to ask if she wanted me now, but somehow, the words don't come out. "So this is what all girls are like? First Mavis with the knife on her first day. Now this? Unbelievable." I hear Frypan mutter. "Yeah, that's why you guys are lucky." I mutter to myself. That's when I remember..., I turn to Winston, "I'm ready to help." He looks at me, nodding, and says that's fine. I look up at Newt, and he nods. "I'll see you later, then?" He asks, smirking a little. The blush heats up in my cheeks and I curse in my head as I say, "Yeah."

I walk over to Winston and we both start heading towards the barn. Once we get there, he starts showing me which pen for each animal goes to, the chicken coop, and what went where here in the barn. An hour later, I help him with the farm animals, feeding and cleaning them. One small baby lamb gently walks over to me, and I kneel down, softly stroking its soft white wool. It gives me a small "baaa", and I smile down at the adorable animal. Then, one by one, its brothers and sisters start coming over to me. I can't help but giggle as I give each one a pet on their wool, but they keep pushing each other out of the way, wanting me to pet them again. How did they end up here? How did we all end up here?

All of the baby sheep start climbing on my lap and some start licking my face as I start laughing so hard, falling to the ground on my back. "Winston, help! The...baby sheep...are...," I laugh as they keep tickling my neck and chin. I hear Winston laughing as he helps me up a bit and I hear the mother sheep calling to her babies. They herd back to their mom and I start to feel a little down inside, thinking about how much my mom loves me and Georgie the same way. I wonder what she's doing right now...

After we leave the sheep pen, me and Winston start picking up klunk (I've been using the Glader terms a lot from the past three days more often) with shovels and I try my best not to look totally grossed out.