Chapter 16

Once we get back to the Glade, I follow the boys to the Homestead and we find Newt and Gally. "Hope you guys enjoyed your little field trip." Gally taunts as soon as we walk inside the room. I ignore him and walk over to Newt, "Look what we found." I hold out the mechanical device in front of him. He looks at me and then at the device and takes it from my hands. Minho shows him the other one. "What is it?" Newt asks.

"We found them in the Grievers." Thomas replies. Newt looks down at the device and runs his thumb over the letters. "These are the same letters we get in our supplies." He says. "So this means, whoever put us here obviously created the Grievers. And not only that, this is the first real clue." I say. "Yeah, the first anything you guys have found in over three years. Right, Minho?" Thomas turns to him. Minho agrees with me and Thomas.

"Newt, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us. A way out, that's where." I say, and he looks down at me. "That's it." We all snap our heads to Gally. "You do see what they're trying to do, right? First they break our rules, and then they try to convince us to abandon them. The rules help us live. The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. So why now are we questioning about that? You know what, we were all fine, until she showed up! Because a few days later, another girl shows up! If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me." He says. No, he'd probably tell you to shut up. I say in my head. "These two deserve to be punished." He points to both me and Thomas. For the first time ever, he's right. We broke the rules for going inside the Maze, and we really do need to be punished.

Newt doesn't say anything as he looks at Thomas and then looks at me. He gives the devices back to Minho and says, "You're right. Both Thomas and Mavis broke the rule, and they need to be punished. Thomas gets to spend one night in the Pit, no food or water." Gally looks at him like he'd just seen a ghost. "Oh c'mon, Newt, that's not enough!"

"In case you forgot you bloody Shank, I'm second-in-command, and when I say that he gets one night in the Pit, then one night in the Pit it is." Newt says, narrowing his eyes at Gally. "Then what about her?" He spits in Newt's face as he points a shaky finger at me. The blonde boy looks down at me as I look back up at him. From looking in his eyes, I can tell that he doesn't want me or Thomas punished. Speaking of Thomas, he breaks the silence, "Before you say anything, Newt, don't punish Mavis. She doesn't deserve any of it."

I look at him, "But, Thomas, I went in the Maze, too. I have to be--" I begin. "No, don't even finish that sentence." He cuts me off. "You don't deserve to be in the Pit. I'm taking this punishment so you don't have to. I mean, I'm the one went in the Maze first, and you followed me." I don't say anything as I look up at Newt, who looks like he agrees with him, and I can tell that he does. In fact, everyone agrees with Thomas, except Gally. "I'll give her a little punishment." Newt says, and turns to me. "Mavis, your hunting privileges are being taken away for today, so if you please hand over your bow and arrow, and I'll put them away in a safe place." I look down as he holds his palm out for me to give my weapons to him. I sigh, knowing that I have to give my precious weapons to him.

But before I could, Gally barks, "What the hell kind of punishment is that?! Is this some kind of sick joke of yours, Newt?! Or when you mean by "punishment", you mean by "you want her in your pants" punishment?!" I couldn't believe my ears. He did not just say that! Me and Newt's faces turn red, and without thinking, I load an arrow and shoot it at Gally. Unfortunately, it misses his arm and hits the wall. It's completely silent as everyone looks at me in disbelief, a look of alarm on their faces.

I take a few deep breaths. "Mavis," Newt's hand is still out, and I look at him as I slowly hand over my bow and slip the bag of arrows from my shoulder, and give them to him. I hear Gally mutter, "She's insane," and I flip him off. "Gally, if you ever, say anything like that again, you will be Banished. No "if"s, "and"s, or "but"s." Newt gives him a death glare as he says those words to Gally. He only grunts and crosses his arms.