Chapter 24

The doors won't close.

As soon as the words came out of Winston's mouth, I immediately know what he means. If the doors won't close, night will fall and the Grievers will be....here. I run outside and the sky turns dark. Oh crap. Everyone is gathered by the East Door, panicking and screaming. "They won't close!" "The Grievers will be here any minute!" "Oh God, we're all gonna die!!" I start to get scared, staring at the open walls. Newt appears next to me with the others behind him, and I grab his hand. "Newt," I say, my voice shaking. He pulls me closer to him. "It's gonna be all right." He whispers, and plants a kiss on my head.

All of a sudden, there's a booming sound and we all turn and see the West Door opening. And then the South Door, and then the North Door. Oh no. They're all opening. "Everyone hide! The Grievers will be here soon!" Minho shouts, sending everyone over the edge, running back to the Glade and screaming. "Chuck," Thomas turns the boy. "I want you to go hide in the Homestead." He nods and I quickly go over to him and hug him as tight as I can. He hugs back and whispers, "Be careful." I look down at him and nod. He runs off as we let go. Dear lord, please protect us right now. Especially Chuck. Sweet, innocent Chuck.

"Mavis, get ready to stare at some
ugly-ass Grievers," Minho runs by me, followed by Thomas. "C'mon, sweetheart." Newt grabs my hand and leads me back to the Glade. I look back and see Teresa staring into the Maze. Teresa! I quickly let go of his hand and run back to my best friend. "Teresa! Teresa, let's go!" I yell, the moans from inside the doors are getting louder. They are coming! I grab her hand and we both run back to the Glade.

We reach the others and everyone is getting ready to either hide or fight. In my opinion, I hope they're gonna hide and not be stupid. Because those things (the Grievers) are dangerous and scary. The Med-jacks got Alby and Newt orders them to take him back to the Homestead with Chuck, and they do. We all start running to the cornfield and Newt's hand is over my mouth again as we hide deep into the tall plants. The air is soon filled with whirring sounds, moans, and screams. Half of the Gladers, half of everyone that I got to know a little, are gone.

We all are quiet, still, not daring to move a muscle. We're all so silent, I could hear our heartbeats. I look up and my eyes widen and my heart starts accelerating to a higher level as I see a Griever's long, robotic arm in the air, right above Zart's head. I remove Newt's hand from my mouth and scream, "ZART, WATCH OUT!" He just notices me screaming before the claw grabs him. The last thing I see from my friend is him screaming and disappearing into the air. "Run!" Thomas shouts and we all run out of the field. Everywhere around me is madness; each shelter is burning down, each boy is killed or taken away. The tears run down my face.

"Mavis!" Newt shouts my name and I look up and gasp as the Griever comes charging towards me. But as soon as it looks at me, it starts screeching, sounding like nails on a chalkboard. Then it rolls over and starts twitching. It stops. It's dead. I turn and see Newt with a surprised look, and I grab his hand and pretty soon, more Grievers show up. I kill about three of them and Teresa throws a lit torch at one of them.

Once the beasts are dead, we go to the Homestead, barricading the door after we all go in. Chuck, Alby, Clint, and Jeff are there, and we all huddle together. Everyone that saw what I did to the Griever keeps asking me questions about how I did it, but I tell them to shut up and prepare themselves for another attack. I'm not in the mood right now for question, not after what happened to Zart. Zart, who was taken by the Grievers. All of a sudden, I keep thinking about those monsters.

"No, no," I start to hyperventilate. "I can't let them take me away, I just can't!" What is going on with me? I've never acted like this before. I am terrified at the moment, but it's not that. Maybe it's something else. But what? And why? First the hunger, the weight loss, the crying, the vomiting, and now this. There has to be something wrong with me.