Chapter 13

"MAVIS, GET OUT OF HERE! GO!" Thomas shouts, panic and horror in his voice. He doesn't have to repeat himself twice as I turn on my heel and run as fast as I can. Everywhere around me transforms to stone as I keep running into the walls. I hear Thomas's yelling and the Griever's shrieks, roars, and howls from behind me, but I don't stop.

But as I turn to a corner, I'm frozen in fear as I see another Griever coming straight towards me. Or is it the same one? Has Thomas somehow gotten it to leave him alone? I load an arrow as fast as I can, and it finds a home in the Griever's hideous face. It screeches and howls in pain, but it doesn't tumble over and die. I run away from it quickly, but I hear it running after me.

I lead it as far away from Thomas, Alby, and Minho (wherever that guy is) as possible, but I freeze when I stop at an edge of a cliff. But I hear the creature's noises getting closer and closer, and when I turn around, it's coming straight towards me. I whip back around and without thinking, I start running and scream as I close my eyes and jump over the edge. I open them again as I cling onto the vines, and carefully, I begin climbing down the wall, and I safely land on my feet.

And good thing, too, because the Griever jumps down and gets stuck in the vine. I quickly back away as it tries to escape, but fails. Now you'll have to think twice before turning me into your dinner!

"THOMAS!!!" My heart almost stops as I recognize Minho's voice screaming Thomas's name. I look back at the tangled Griever and say, "Have fun trying to get yourself untangled, ugly." I turn and run and I hear it screech behind me. I make a few turns here and there, between each corner and paths, until I run into Minho and Thomas. My anger towards the Asian boy returns, "It was awfully nice of you to abandon us, Minho! What the hell were you thinking?! You left me and Thomas for dead!" I snap at him. He doesn't seem to acknowledge my anger at him, instead, he's staring at the wall in front of us, his jaw dropping. But I continue, "If you ever do that again, I'll kill you!" Again, no effect on him. "Hello? I'm yelling at you. What is the matter with you?" I say, knocking on the side of his head. "Mavis," I look over at Thomas as he gestures his head towards the wall. I look and gasp as I see a crushed Griever between the wall. "Wait...you mean you....but...I thought....Wha--?" I can't seem to let the words out. But how did the Griever end up dead after being tangled in the wall of vines that fast?

"What's wrong?" Thomas asks, snapping Minho back to reality. They both look at me. "How did the--" I begin, but I'm cut off by a crashing and booming sound. The three of us jump as the Griever from before, with ripped vines sticking out from its spikes, roars and charges to us. The two boys are already running away, but I'm still where I'm standing, frozen with fear, eyes widening. I'm so numb right now that I don't even hear the boys calling for me to run. My last ounce of strength and courage disappears, and all I can think about is Newt. My first, and now my last, true love. Tears fall down my face as the Griever gets closer and closer. Mavis, I--, the British boy's words plays in my head as I remember that day when Ben attacked me and Thomas. What was Newt about to say before I fell asleep? It's too late for an answer now.

The last thing I hear is Thomas and Minho screaming, "MAVIS!!!!", and I start to cry as I'm face-to-face with the hideous monster.

Newt's POV

"Please tell me you didn't just sit there, waiting all night long for those doors to open, Newt." I hear Chuckie's voice the next morning, but I keep my eyes glued on the walls, like they have been the entire night. I didn't get any sleep, my eyes have dark circles underneath them, it's been a while since I last went to the bathroom, and I'm worried and frightened by the fact that Mavis, Thomas, Alby, and Minho are already dead. Dear god, I hope I'm wrong! 'Cause if Mavis is dead, I'll have to live inside the Maze, and no one will stop me.

"Yeah." I yawn as I get up and stretch out my arms, the other boys comes to join me and Chuck. Just then, the doors start to open, and I straighten up, expecting to see four figures running out of the maze, a girl with blond hair running towards me and holding me tight in her arms, as I would do the same to her. But, just as I had expected, there's no one in there.

"But, they should be here by now." Chuck says, nervously. I shake my head, "They're never coming back, Chuck. S-She's not coming back." I say, my voice cracking. She's gone. Mavis. She's never gonna return. And I never got a chance to tell her that I love--

"Hey, guys, look!" Zart the Fart (as we all call him here) points out to the maze, and when we all turn, Chuck gives out an excited "YEAH!!!" as we all see Thomas and Minho, both alive, carrying Alby, whom I'm not so sure about but I hope that he's okay. They set him on the ground and we all circle around them. "Wait, where's--" Chuck begins, but a voice from inside the maze calls out, "Guys! Thomas! Minho!" I shoot straight up and look out into that bloody maze. "Guys!" The voice calls out again, this time, it's getting closer. "Mavis?" I mutter. And then, I see a skinny figure walking, well, stumbling on her feet, towards me, and I can breathe again. "Chuck! Ne--" The person stops and stares at me. "Mavis?! Mavis!!" I grin as I start running towards the blond girl that I love so much, relieved that she's alive.

Mavis' POV

"Newt!" I excitedly shout out the boy's name as he half runs, half limps towards me, and I run to him. My face breaks into a huge smile as I catch up to him and he lifts me off the ground and spins me around. I lock my arms around his neck and I'm crying and laughing. He's doing the same thing.

Newt sets me down and pulls me into his chest. "You're alive!" He says. "Yeah, I'm alive." I say into his warm chest, his heart beating in my ear. I love you, Newt. I've been in love with you since the day I arrived here. I feel his hands on my cheeks and I look up at him, thinking for a moment that he might kiss me. But he doesn't. He did hesitate, though, at first. "Don't you ever do that to me again. I was so scared." He says. "I'm sorry, Newt." I say, and he pulls me into his arms again, and I wrap my own around his back. I'm so happy that I'm with the person I really care about again.

"Mavis!" I look up and smile even more as I see Chuck. I grab Newt's hand and lead him back to the Glade. I run up to the twelve-year-old boy and pull him in for a huge hug. We hug for ten seconds and I kneel next to Thomas on the ground as we all stare down at Alby. The guys asks us a bunch of questions like, "What happened out there?" "How did you guys survive?"

"You saw a Griever?" Chuck asks. "Yeah." I say. "Actually, two Grievers." Thomas says. "Two Grievers?!" Chuck's eyes widen, and everyone starts murmuring to one another. I nod. "They didn't see them," Minho speaks up, and it's silent. "Thomas killed the first one. And she killed the second one."

I feel everyone staring at me and Thomas. "Did you shoot it?" Newt asks me, and I shake my head. Minho fills in, "No. She didn't shoot it. She killed it...by staring at it."