Chapter 7

*The next day*

Newt's POV

"So has anyone tried climbing to the top?" Tommy asks me as I cut off a piece of vine in the Garden. I don't look at him as I reply, "Tried it. The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top. And besides, where are you gonna go from there?" I'm still pretty mad at him and Chuck about yesterday. When I was
to...to....., kiss Mavis. The more I think about her, the more time slows down. I'm rigid with shock; I've never kissed a girl before, or at least, I don't think I have, but even if we did kissed without Chuckie or Tommy hiding behind a tree watching us, I'd have no idea what to do. I wonder what it's like to kiss someone, the pressure of it, the way of two lips move together, the overflowing feeling of emotion and desire,......

"Okay. And what about the box?" Tommy interrupts my thoughts, and I look at him. Damn him and his questions! "You know, next time it comes up--" "No, we tried that already." I cut him off. "The Box won't go back down with someone in it." That better be the last question, but it isn't. "Okay, what if we..." "No, we tried it, all right? Twice! All right? Trust me. Anything you can think of, we've already tried. The only way out of here is through the maze." I snap. I know that I sound like a jerk right now, but I really don't want to have a chat with Thomas now. Especially after the event yesterday.

He notices my expression quickly and walks over to me. "Is this about yesterday?" He catches on pretty fast. I nod and go back to the vine I was about to cut off. "Me and Chuck already apologized and we promised not to tell anyone." He starts to get a little louder. I turn and glare at him, telling him to shut up as some of the other Gladers start to stare at us. I don't want any of them to think that me and Mavis are more than friends now, and even though I want us to be something more. "I bloody know that you two apologized, but I'm still pissed at you." I hiss. Tommy blinks a couple of times before saying, "You like her, don't you?" I keep staring at him as I feel my face burn a little, and my heart slows down. I do like Mavis, but not as a friend. "Yes." I finally reply, staring at the ground. "But I don't just like her, I'm in--"

"Look out below!" We all look up and see Mavis on top of the wooden tower, with her bow and arrow pointing at something in the sky. Then she releases the arrow and it flies up in the air and hits something. It looked like a bird. It comes down between me and Thomas, and we both back away from the dead bird. It's a goose. Mavis' arrow has pierced where its heart is. I turn around and see her walking towards us, and she's grinning. "Sorry. But I saw him with his flock, and thought I'd, you know." She says. I grin at her. "Well done." I say, and she blushes as she fixes her hair, which is in a messy bun. She's so beautiful. I know I've called her that many times already, but I can't help it. There are many other words I describe Mavis in my mind.

She picks up the bird and runs off to find Frypan. I turn back to Thomas. "All right, wanna be helpful?" I ask, reaching down for one of the baskets. "Here." I throw one to him, and he catches it, dropping the shovel he was holding. "Go dig us up some more fertilizer." I order him, and he obliges. I can't help but chuckle.

Mavis' POV

I enter the woods after I drop the goose off to Frypan. You should've seen his reaction when I walked in the kitchen with the bird over my shoulder. He was so happy and pleased that he made me lunch, and it wasn't even lunchtime yet. Clint, Jeff, and Winston were there, so I hung out with them while Frypan made us all ham and cheese sandwiches. I showed the Med-jacks my arm with the scar on it, and they shared the same expression on their faces like Newt made yesterday in the woods. They said it wasn't a Griever sting, but they have no idea what kind of scar it is.

After we all ate and talked, I said goodbye to them, and here I am right now, in the woods, with my arrow ready. For a while, I keep walking, looking around for anything that I can shoot, when I hear a voice, "Just get the fertilizer, Thomas." "Are you sure, guys? I can't help in any other way?" "No, just go get the fertilizer. You know where it is. It's just out in the middle of the woods." My shoulders relax and I smile. "Like talking to yourself?" I call out, and he whips around and sees me. Thomas is holding a brown basket and a small shovel, I believe to get...fertilizer? "Oh, it's just you." He says, and I can see the muscles on his face relaxing. I giggle. "Of course it's me. Who did you think I was?" Thomas shrugs. He probably thought I was Chuck, or Newt, or Alby. Or even Gally.