Chapter 8

Someone slaps a pudgy hand over my mouth to wake me up the next morning. I look and see Chuck and Thomas standing over me, looking down at me. "What the fuck?!" My voice muffles against Chuck's hand, and Thomas puts his finger on his lips. "It's time." He says. "To go back to sleep and wake me at around eleven or one?" I ask, half-awake and half-asleep. "No," Chuck giggles. "For Ben's banishment."

"Screw Ben!" I snap, pushing Chuck's hand away from my mouth, growling under my breath as I put the sheets over my head. Please go away! But they don't, instead, I feel the blankets pull off my body, exposing my navy blue tank top and black shorts. "What the hell?!" I shriek, and they both start laughing. Those two better scram before I kick both of their asses! And I mean it! "C'mon, Alby wants you there. Look, I don't want to go either, but since we were attacked by Ben, we have to go." Thomas says, and I groan, knowing that he's right.

"Ugh! Fuck, fine. Both of you, out!" I point at the door, and they oblige. I swear, it's like living with two annoying brothers. I'm not very sure if I did had any siblings before I lost my memories, but for some reason, I'm pretty sure that I did. Once they leave, I shut the door behind them and change into a black off-the-shoulder sweater with a pearly-colored tank top with lace trimmings under it (deciding to leave my bandeau bra on), dark blue skinny jeans with ripped holes in them, a pair of white sneakers, my bracelet, and layer some lemon-flavored lip balm. I brush my hair out and put it in a braid and grab my bow and arrows before heading out the door.

"Mavis." I turn to see Zart walking towards me as I step out into the open. "Morning." I say, and he waves. "C'mon, everybody's waitin'." He takes my hand and we run towards where the East Door is. The Gladers are huddled in a circle and I see tall wooden poles, held by some of the other guys, and two of them are Newt and Alby. Newt sees me and doesn't leave my sight as he walks over to me. "You okay?" He asks. "I guess." I say, but the word came out more like a question. This is probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen since I came to the Glade. It still bothered me that everyone has a solemn look on their faces, even though I don't exactly know what it means, it doesn't look good. Not good at all. They're gonna put Ben out there? With the Grievers? No one made a noise, all we can hear is the hearts beating in our chests, and Thomas appears next to me after Newt goes back to the group, standing next to Alby.

"Bring him out!" He shouts, and the next thing I know, is Ben walks over with Minho grabbing him by his hands behind his head. He's whimpering like a coward, and I grab hold of Thomas' arm. He pats my hand gently. Chuck walks over to my other side, and I look down at him. "They let you watch?" I ask in a whisper. "Sometimes, but not during the end." He answers. I nod, because I know what happens in the end. I look back the sick boy. His clothes are dirty and tattered, barely hanging on, and he looked like crap. Minho throws him to the ground, and he whimpers and starts blubbering like an idiot. Although he seems weak, I notice that his eyes are not narrowing. They're wide with horror.

"A-Alby, please! No." He cries out. "You brought this on yourself. Ben, you've been sentenced to Banishment for attempting a murder to our Greenies, Thomas and Mavis." Alby says, and I'm embarrassed that I was being linked with Ben in public. I look up at Thomas and I can tell that he feels the same way. Speaking of Ben, he jolts up at the sound of my name and whips around to see me. He starts to run to me, but Minho and the other builders holds him back while he shouts as loudly as he can, "Mavis! Help me, please! I'm sorry for what I did to you, and I'm sorry how I treated you when you got here. Please, give me a chance. I really like you, Mavis. Really, really, really like you." My jaw drops at his words. It feels awful to admit his feelings for me at a time like this, and he must know that. I think he does, and he said it so he could get it over with already. But what I want to get over is this moment right now and for him to be banished.