Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Belgravia, London*

The Woodhouse name was respected, despite the so-called non-respectful antics of the previous Viscount. The three Woodhouse siblings were known for their own things (or rather, their circumstances in Adelaide's case), but the most well-known and most adored was Dr Theodore Woodhouse.

Charming, attractive, smart and curious - Theodore started from scratch to become someone and built his reputation on his own, after the scandal that followed his father. Being an investigator wasn't exactly the work of a gentleman, but he enjoyed helping others and he loved a good mystery.

Theodore had studied at Oxford, earning a degree in philosophy and he continued his studies in London, where he lived and worked, earning his doctorate in philosophical theory, specialising in criminal behaviour in recent years, having travelled to Germany to study under the most respected psychologist - Wilhelm Wundt. In the eight years, he had lived in London, his reputation and legacy had been secured.

In his top hat and coattails, Theodore walked the Kensington streets to his home, dipping his head with a tap of his hat to the women and men who greeted him.

Women swooned and whispered, giggling amongst themselves, flattered that the insanely attractive Dr Woodhouse even looked at them, regardless of saying hello.

Men wanted to be him and women wanted to be with him.

But despite his reputation as a ladies' man and a few courtships that had gone sour, he was a free bird and had been for years. He had heard the rumours (of course, he was a detective so he knew all of the talks about himself) - that he was more interested in those of the same sex but the truth was far more scandalous in Victorian London.

His heart was already taken and had been for years.

As he entered his home, he removed his coat and hat, and the family butler Gideon, took his outer garments as Theodore headed up one flight of stairs to the family room. A fire was crackling, tea and cakes were set up and the woman who kept him sane and grounded was reading a book in an armchair, her back to him.

"Florence?"

She jumped as he approached her, laughing. "I've told you so many times, do not scare me like that..." Her eloquent Scottish accent was like a melody to his ears as Theodore laughed, sitting down opposite her.

"I can't help it..." He nudged to the book she had placed on the table. "Good book?"

"Wonderful!" She touched the leather-bound book. "Mr Hardy is a master with words."

"Any messages?" Theodore asked as Florence nodded. He poured in some tea for himself and Florence, who got up and walked out of the room, returning with a notebook and pen.

"Mr Dooley asked about the insurance claim at Regent's Docks and I told him you'll get back to him..." Theodore nodded as Florence continued. "Commissioner Adler would like to speak with you about a case in Essex and also requested the evidence paperwork regarding the Bonas case. I told him the copies would be sent by courier tomorrow morning. I just need to file them..." Florence read from her notebook as Theodore nodded, listening intently before he looked around the table for a teaspoon.

"Missing something?"

Theodore nodded, looking at her. "A teaspoon?"

"Oh, I'll go grab one!" Florence jumped up but Theodore called her back.