Chapter 43

CHAPTER 43

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Belgravia, London*

"Get the finest English apples, tuppence, a bag!"

"Freshly made bread for sale!"

"Just in - tulips from the Netherlands! 15 shillings for a bunch of six!"

Florence walked over and bought a multi-coloured bouquet of tulips and some other flora for another flower arrangement in the townhouse and I laughed, looping my arm back through hers as we continued down the streets of Covent Garden Markets.

"I've missed this..." I sighed, inhaling the mixture of scents and smells - from the freshly baked bread on the stalls to the unsavoury stench of the Thames. "I'm just glad to be back in London."

It had been a few weeks since the dinner and ball at Herstmonceux Castle and Louis and I did not leave each other's side since he told me he was leaving.

We had wanted to make the most of the time we had together and while it did give people the chance to gossip and whisper about us, we were inseparable for the rest of the night.

We danced like we were the only two people in the room, enjoying each other's company.

It bought make memories of the ball at Wollaton Hall - I was Cinderella and he was my Prince Charming. 

Christina and I also spent time together and she, as well as her mother, told me they were grateful for all that I had done for them and I apologised for the initial deception which they dismissed. 

As the night ended, Louis and I parted ways, and he revealed that my family had told him that the day I rescued in was my birthday, so he gifted me a silver filigree locket with a ruby stone in the middle as he wanted me to have good memories of that day. We stole another kiss in the cover of darkness to avoid my brothers duelling the poor man

But they all knew something had happened and when we returned to London, I dismissed Emerson's questioning, while Charlotte teased that a lady never kissed and told.

It was now a new month - September to be precise. The weather would be changing, the days would eventually get shorter and the leaves were falling, and I was finding my new normal.

I would resume my classes at the University of London in a few weeks and I was preparing to complete the accelerated course before the spring. My family were also making arrangements for us to go on holiday in the new year and I had already made a few suggestions that Paris is exceptionally beautiful in the Spring. 

"What's on your mind?" Florence asked, nudging me gently as I sighed, shrugging my shoulders as we decided to walk back to Belgravia, along the river.

"Just...how good life is right now. A few months ago, I don't think I could've told you that but I can now and it feels good to say it..."

Florence smiled. "It has been a very eventful few months."

"And I'm just glad to be home."

Florence hugged me and it meant more to me than she would ever know.

As we continued through London, we went into a patisserie and grabbed some sweet treats for dessert as we eventually reached home.

Emerson, Charlotte and Theodore were all back from their day's work and errands and as we joined them in the living room, we shared the treats with each other, talking about our day.