Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Dunfermline, Scotland/Wollaton Hall, Nottingham/Belgravia, London*

As the steam train pulled into Dunfermline, Theodore jumped off, putting his hat back on as he headed for the main town centre.

There were police everywhere and Theodore was suddenly intrigued.

"Officers..." He approached three suited men and they turned to him as he greeted them. "Dr Theodore Woodhouse."

"Dr Woodhouse..." The officers stumbled, greeting him excitedly. "It is an honour."

"May I ask what is happening?" He gestured to the many officers, searching and questioning the people of Dunfermline.

"You must've heard of the case of the suspected murderer from St Andrews?" One of the officers asked and Theodore nodded. "We had reports from a fellow constable that a woman matching the description was spotted here in Dunfermline."

"That blasted conductor was right..." Theodore muttered under his breath as the officers raised their eyebrows, Theodore shaking his head. "Who's in charge?"

They gestured to a man with a large moustache on his face as Theodore strolled over. He saw him and recognised him instantly, turning to greet the newcomer and introduce himself "Dr Woodhouse. What a pleasure! Chief Inspector Humphries."

"Pleasure is all mine..." Theodore replied. "You are following a lead on the suspected murderer from St Andrews?"

Humphries nodded as they turned to stroll together, the Chief Inspector gesturing for men to continue their investigations. "Yes, we are. We got reports that she was here...with a dark-haired lad too."

"Would now be a good time to tell you that I have a personal...interest in this case?" Theodore remarked as they stopped walking, Humphries turning to him, eyebrows raised. "The woman in question...she is my sister."

Humphries nodded, pursing his lips. "I see...and you are trying to find her yourself?"

"She jumped from a train with the dark-haired man - who he is, I have no idea. They were being pursued on the train and, according to the conductor, they leapt from the train not far from here, so I thought I would see if I could find out if they had come here..." Theodore looked around from where he stood.

Dunfermline was quaint and idyllic in its own way with its stone buildings and cobblestone paths.

"Well...according to the initial report, a red-haired lass and a dark-haired lad were here for a few weeks..." Humphries explained. "They left a few days ago."

A constable came over, greeting both Humphries and Theodore, before turning to his superior. "We've got a report saying that the red-haired lass was staying in the abbey."

"Then...let's go find out more..." Humphries took the lead as Theodore followed. The doors of the abbey were open as Humphries and Theodore entered, taken aback by the strong smell of incense burning at the altar where a man stood in prayer.

Humphries cleared his throat and the man turned, facing them. "Chief Inspector..." He stepped down from the altar. "My name is Archibald Ross, I'm the minister of the abbey. How may I help you?"

Humphries showed his badge before gesturing to Theodore on his left. "This is Dr Theodore Woodhouse. We are here to ask you some questions." Archibald nodded. "It's about a young lass. Red-haired with a Cornish accent?"