Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Wollaton Hall, Nottingham*

Ornate gates opened before a gravel pathway that circled a large fountain before leading to steps to the beautiful Elizabethan mansion. Four floors, square towers in each corner and glistening in the afternoon sun, I was in awe over its beauty.

This is what Woodhouse Manor should look like.

"Welcome to my home..." Louis gestured to Wollaton Hall and I smiled. He took my hand as we made our way down the gravel path

The estate was surrounded by park lands, people on promenade down a path, subtly titled 'Lime Tree Avenue' for the lime trees that lined either side of the walkway. Trees and wildflowers were scattered all around, gravel paths perfectly groomed with a large lake to the far end, ducks and swans swimming peacefully as gardeners tended to the landscape.

The double doors of the mansion opened and a slender woman wearing a dark blue outfit came running out. Her blonde hair was perfectly pinned to her head and she had tears in her eyes. Louis broke free from me as he ran to the woman, who stopped on the steps, her arms out wide.

"Oh, mon petit papillon..." Her distinctive French accent made me smile when I realised who this was.

Catherine Hatton, the Dowager Countess of Nottingham - Louis's mother.

She kissed him over and over again, pulling away, inspecting his face and hair and making a joke of the animal that had made its home on his face.

"Louis!" A younger lady came running out, wearing pink and white. Her hair was blonde and open, pinned back in a little bun with curls over each shoulder and she squealed with delight to see Louis, running to him and hugging him.

Lady Christina Hatton - Louis's sister.

"I'm so happy to see you! Both of you!" Louis was relieved and I could tell from his voice, he didn't want to burst into tears but the emotions were brewing.

"Where have you been?" Catherine asked. "Are you well? What happened? Oh, mon petit papillon, I have so many questions and no answers."

"Mama..." He assured her, taking her hand. "I will answer everything, I promise...but...I want you to meet someone." He turned to me and my cheeks flushed red as Louis descended the stairs to me. Catherine and Christina joined us, smiling big. "Mama, Christina, this is Ada Carne. She is the reason I am home and I owe my life to her."

"How do you do?" I smiled, dipping into a little curtsy but Catherine suddenly pulled me into a hug, startling me but I put my arms around her in comfort.

"You brought my son home. I am forever indebted to you..."

I smiled, feeling the comfort of a motherly hug. "Thank you but you do not need to be."

"Do not be silly..." Catherine pulled away, laughing. "You will be treated as a guest of honour. Gifted with a magnificent dinner and new clothes and anything else you want."

"Truly...we are grateful..." Christina chimed as I looked at Louis.

"I think we'll just rest for now..." Louis said and I shook my head.

"If I can have anything..." I turned to Catherine. "A warm bath would be much appreciated."

Catherine nodded. "Then you shall receive! Come, come!" She clapped her hands, Christina following her mother as Louis gestured for me to take the lead.