Chapter 42

CHAPTER 42

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex*

We were in each other's arms, holding onto one another.

To be so open and to show such affection was scandalous. Men and women never met without chaperones but that seemed redundant for Louis and me as we had trekked across the country together, alone.

As we pulled away, our foreheads touched.

"I've missed you..."

"And I've missed you..." I replied as we stood facing each other.

"How are you?" Louis asked and I smiled at him, nodding.

"I'm very well...and happy..." I said. "And you?"

"Likewise." We both laughed as I shook my head.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned and he laughed, looking at the castle.

"What, you came to a party and didn't know who the hosts were?" I frowned, tilting my head. "How are you enjoying the party in my castle?"

My mouth fell open in shock as I looked at him and the red-brick castle behind him in turn. "This is your castle? And your party?" He nodded and I groaned. "Well...it makes sense why no one would tell me who the hosts were."

"Yes, I told them to keep it a surprise..."

I laughed, playfully pushing him. "And I am surprised." I looked at him and he took my hand, leading me into the maze. "We'll get lost."

"It's my maze...I know my way around..." He remarked, turning towards the castle quickly. "And this way, we can have some privacy."

"It's scandalous and inappropriate!" I laughed, shocked he would be so blase about societal rules.

He chuckled, standing in the entryway to the maze. "When did that stop us before?"

I looked back at the castle and there was no one around.

One walk around the maze wouldn't hurt anyone.

I squeezed Louis's hand as he led me into the maze - the depths of the unknown and I kept our hands together at all times, as we slowly strolled through, Louis guiding the way.

"How is...Christina?" I asked as Louis sighed.

"She is well and doing much better. This whole thing has been...traumatising for her. We locked ourselves away for a while for her sake. Doing all of this is for her as she was ready for it..."

"And you should tell her she has nothing to be ashamed of..." I assured him. "She did nothing wrong."

"We have..." Louis smiled. "But she is more hurt that Clinton would do all of this."

"How are you?" I questioned as we turned a corner and reached a left-right intersection, Louis gesturing for us to go left.

"It is a betrayal...but I'm doing all right..." He gave me a warm smile and I squeezed his hand. "I think it will be some getting used to that my friend - my best friend since I was a child - would do something like this to me. But even if I had known, I don't think I would've changed anything. I still would've helped Sylvia leave because she deserved happiness - everyone does..." His thumb stroked my hand. "We left things between us so..."