Chapter 34

CHAPTER 34

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Wollaton Hall, Nottingham/Rufford Abbey, Nottinghamshire*

A rush of cold water hit Louis in the face and he jolted awake, coughing violently.

His eyes focused, his throat scratchy from the alcohol and concoction that knocked him out.

His hands and legs were tied up against a chair and he was in the wine stores under the manor. The manor was still - no sounds or noises from anywhere.

And before him, in a black day suit was the hitman who Clinton had been conversing with.

He stood, leaning on a cane before him. "Who are you?" Louis asked simply but the hitman said nothing. "Why do you have me here? What do you want with me?" Louis cried, but his questions fell on deaf ears as the hitman just watched him. "Answer me you son of a bitch!"

The hitman said nothing and Louis groaned, trying to pry himself free but he was tied up tight. As he shook and wiggled, he screamed out in frustration as the hitman just watched.

Louis's cries and screams for help were ignored and the fact that the hitman did not try to silence him meant they were in the middle of nowhere and no one would hear him. Instead, the hitman watched him as Louis attempted to interrogate, bribe and plead with him to release him but all of his words fell on deaf ears.

He was fed scraps of bread and mouldy cheese - clearly, they wanted him alive.

The day shifted to night and Louis realised it had now been more than twenty-four hours since he was drugged and no one had come looking for him.

The hitman looked at his pocket watch and walked over to Louis, pulling a rag over his mouth to silence him before he left him alone.

Crying and screaming, moving the chair around as much as possible, Louis tried to get free and call for help the best he could but his attempts fell on deaf ears.

***

Rufford Abbey was one of many homes belonging to the Hatton family. Located north of Nottingham and on the northern cusps of the legendary Sherwood Forest, the estate held festivals and fetes annually in honour of the legendary outlaw Robin Hood.

It was also a weekend home for the Hatton family - when they needed a break. And after the eventful few weeks that they had had as a family, there was no better place to host a magnificent engagement party than Rufford Abbey.

But partying was on no one's mind.

Around the house, servants were getting the place together for the celebrations in a few days, but Catherine paced back and forth in the living room, fidgeting with her hands.

Sat on the windowbench, looking out to the grounds, was Christina her hands clasped together before her as if in prayer with her cousin, Hazel as Octavia sat with the Dowager Grandmother, Eliza before the fireplace. A valet came running in and all attention turned to him. "Anything?" Catherine asked, the others standing up, anticipating some news. The valet shook his head.

"We have searched all over the city and we cannot find him, My Lady..." He admitted regretfully and Catherine felt like the air had been sucked out of her, her hands coming to her stomach. "We have contacted friends and no one has heard anything."

"Oh, ma dieu..." She fanned herself with her hands, her daughter coming over to support her as Esther - Victor's wife - called for someone to bring a drink as they all tried to calm Catherine down.