Epilogue

EPILOGUE

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Dunfermline, Scotland*

Mary Ross stared at the beautifully decorated box before her as she smiled. Sketches of unicorns, cut-outs of illustrations from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the colours of Scotland and thistle, the country's national flower. 

"It is for you..." Archibald told her, nudging her to see what was inside.

Christmas service had come and gone in Dunfermline and Mary was surprised to see the beautifully decorated gift box waiting for her. 

She was not expecting anything from anyone but she was still excited. 

Pulling the blue ribbon free, she lifted the lid and her eyes went wide at the contents, a squeal that echoed throughout the abbey. 

A china doll - with beautiful blonde hair, a bonnet and a blue and white floral dress. A tag on her wrist said her name was Mary. 

Underneath the doll, was a beautiful edition of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking, and framed illustrations of Alice, the White Rabbit and the Cheshire Cat as well as the Jabberwocky. 

At the bottom of the box, an envelope of money was addressed to Archibald and a folded-up dress and bonnet to match the china doll and a sketchbook with inks and pens. 

Mary laughed with happiness, and excitement to be given such beautiful gifts and she knew instantly who had given them. 

"Mary..." Archibald, holding the envelope of money, handed a folded-up note to his daughter and she took it, recognising the handwriting. 

Dearest Mary and Archibald,

We are grateful for your help getting us out of Dunfermline. 

It was quite an adventure back to our respective homes but we did it and we are forever in your debt for your kindness to us. 

A little life update as it has been a while. We are both studying but Louis is at the Sorbonne in France and I am in England, specifically the University of London. 

Throughout all of this madness, we have not forgotten the kindness you showed us when we did not deserve it so thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. We are here, alive and well and doing all of these wonderful things because of both of you. 

We wish nothing but good things to both of you and may God bless you both with so many good tidings. 

We hope to see you again very soon. 

Merry Christmas. 

Love, 

Adelaide Woodhouse & Louis Hatton. 

Mary smiled at the letter as her father hugged her. "I'm glad they are well."

"And we will see them again," Archibald smiled, looking up at the stained glassed windows of the abbey - a story of hope, shining down on them. 

Mary read the letter again as she tilted her head. "But I still need to know something..." Archibald looked at his daughter as they made their way down the abbey, towards the living quarters, the deacon carrying the box of gifts.

"What's that?"

"Did they finally admit they liked each other?"

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* 

Hi!

Just a short epilogue to explain what happened with Mary and Archibald. 

I hope you enjoyed this story but wait, there is more!

In the next chapter/section, you will find a synopsis for the NEXT BOOK FOR THE SERIES!

Plus, a preview. 

I hope you will all join Adelaide Woodhouse on her next adventure!

xxx