Chapter 15

CHAPTER 15

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Edinburgh, Scotland*

Dearest Mama,

I'm coming home.

I've had to take an unfortunate detour which I will explain once I get home.

Know that I am safe and I will be coming home soon. I have one more stop to make - Cornwall but I will be home in Nottingham in the coming weeks.

So much has happened in such little time and I wish I could explain but there is too much to say in a mere letter.

But, I promise you, I am coming home soon.

Your loving son,

Louis

Folding up the letter, Louis sealed it with a little wax and addressed it to Wollaton Hall.

"All done?" Clinton asked, standing by the fireplace and checking his pocket watch.

"Done." Louis handed the letter to Clinton. "Mama and Christina will understand."

"And my word will assure them that you are safe..." Clinton put the letter in his pocket. "You should find your friend...Ada, was it?"

Louis nodded. "I will and I wish you a safe journey back to London."

Clinton tipped his hat and left the room as Louis smiled, standing up straight and looking at his appearance in the mirror, before leaving the room, on a search for Ada.

***

In Prince's Street Gardens and some borrowed scrap paper from the front desk of the boarding house, I was sitting on a bench looking up at Edinburgh Castle and sketching my view.

I was avoiding Louis and had left early in the morning, while he was still asleep. He would be leaving with Clinton today and I guess I would make my way straight back to Cornwall - no detour and no worries.

As I captured the glow of the castle in the autumnal sun, I hummed a lullaby to myself - something my mother would sing to me - a classic folk song from Cornwall.

It was the beauty of my homeland - Cornwall was like its own country. Our own language, our own culture and our own folktales and legends. Mama was proud of her Cornish heritage and she raised me to be proud of it too. She never called herself 'English' - she was Cornish first and foremost.

A shadow suddenly blocked my light and I scowled, looking up.

"Louis?" I questioned, surprised to see him.

"You left early this morning..." He said simply, his eyes falling upon my sketch.

"I thought I would get an early start on exploring?" I gestured to the landscape. "Come to say goodbye?" I looked around him, expecting to see Clinton but he was nowhere to be seen.

"No..." Louis replied. "How are your injuries?"

I shrugged my shoulders "Is that all you have come to say? I'm fine...Louis. You don't have to worry about me." I sighed. "I'm sure Clinton is waiting for you."

Louis shook his head, making me frown. "I sent Clinton on. He's gone."

My mouth fell open like a codfish, disbelief over what I was hearing.