Chapter 27

CHAPTER 27

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Wollaton Hall, Nottingham*

The pain of that betrayal being shipped off to St. Andrews was gut-wrenching. It was like a knot in my stomach that someone was twisting again and again.

But what I saw with Louis was beyond explanation. The pain that ached in my chest seeing him quickly step away, looking at me stunned as if he was not expecting me.

My entire reasoning for being in the library had left my mind. Now, all I felt was hurt, heartbreak and betrayal that couldn't be described.

"Ada..." Louis was stunned, looking at the woman who was with him before turning back to me.

"So, you must be the famous Ada Carne?" The woman, with the accent of a highly educated lady, spoke as she turned to me. She had blonde hair, pinned to her hair and a small hat sat atop it all. Pearl earrings hung from her lobes as lace gloves adorned her hands. Her eyes were hazel - big and enchanting and her features were small and delicate. She wore a stunning purple outfit, with a bustle and she smiled at me, but I couldn't smile back. "So lovely to finally meet you. I am Lady Octavia Murphy, Louis's..." Her voice trailed off as she tried to find the word to describe their relationship, but seeing as I had just walked in on her kissing Louis, I didn't need her to dig the knife in deeper.

"I'm sorry for the intrusion. I should've knocked..." I apologised quickly, my voice suddenly meek as Louis stepped forward.

"Ada..."

I stepped away, banging into the door behind me as I grabbed the open door. "I'll leave you to it. I'm sorry."

I hurried away, heading straight for my bedroom but my heart was hurting. It was aching beyond words and I couldn't explain it.

This...this was not happening. 

I collapsed in my bedroom, breathing heavily as I convinced myself not to cry.

I was not a crier, especially not over a man that was never mine.

Louis and I had only known each other for a short amount of time. I couldn't possibly have believed that he had any feelings for me.

But I couldn't deny that there was something there.

As I pulled myself together, I looked at my reflection.

I was a mess - why would he be interested in a girl who knew nothing about societal etiquette? The girl who would fight a hitman and gallivant across the country with no care in the world? The girl who was bohemian and unorthodox - the girl who was an embarrassment to her own family, they shipped her off elsewhere to be "straightened out".

Why would he want me when he could have someone like Octavia - someone he had known for so long, presumably and someone who could give him everything that I could not?

I looked at my bags in one corner of the room and I exhaled, running my hands down my clothes.

I had to go - I had to get out of here.

***

Louis watched as Ada left the room quickly and Octavia scoffed in horror. "Why, isn't she a rude girl? Cannot be bothered to knock and look at the state of her! She looks like she has had a roll in the hay!" She sighed. "Oh, Louis...where did you find such a...woman and why did you think bringing her back here was the answer?"