Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland*

I was wanted for murder - the murder of Mrs Fraser?

How did this happen?

She was alive when I left - so how could I possibly be responsible for her death?

I read the article at least fifty times since returning to the abbey, trying to understand how I was linked to her demise. All the evidence they had was that I was the last person to see her, according to two eyewitnesses, fellow teachers at the school. None of those bitter women liked me anyway so this was all probably a ruse to tarnish my reputation.

There was no picture of me attached to the article so I was safe - in this town, I was Ada Carne and I would continue to be so until I got to Cornwall. This story would only be running in Scottish circles - there is no way they would print it in England, but I would remain, Ada Carne, until it was safe to be Adelaide Woodhouse again.

I tossed and turned in bed, having spent some time praying that this was all just a big misunderstanding. There was faint knocking, coming from the main abbey and I frowned, turning my head to the bedroom door.

It came again - five knocks.

I sat up as silence befell the abbey and remained still and quiet.

Six knocks.

I pulled the duvet back, pulled on a robe and slippers and grabbed a lantern, hurrying out of my room. I stood in the corridor of the sleeping quarters and waited for the noise again.

Maybe it was a stray cat? A dog?

Five knocks.

It was definitely coming from the abbey.

I hurried through the corridors, entered the main abbey and hurried down the aisle towards the doors.

I lifted the wooden plank across the door and undid the other locks, pulling the wooden doors open.

There was no one outside and the streets were deserted.

***

The following morning, I made a decision.

I would spend one final day searching for Louis before I continued without him. Wherever he was, he would be fine and safe and I had to believe that and live with that, but getting out of Scotland for my safety was more important right now. 

As Mary and Archibald readied themselves for a meet-and-greet at the town hall, I dressed to go for a walk - my final attempt at locating Louis.

The streets were alive - different to the desertedness I witnessed last night when I heard knocking at the abbey door.

I had questioned Archibald and Mary about it but they claimed they had heard nothing, to sound asleep to be aware of anything.

I envied them for that.

As I surveyed the crowds and eavesdropped on conversations, I started to lose focus and morale.

Was this all a waste of time? Surely, if Louis was an Earl, he would've gotten his way out of this town by now and back to safety without leaving a trace?

I groaned in frustration, turning a corner and my eyes noticed someone. My heart dropped, and my stomach did somersaults as I turned away and hurried back the way I came, praying that they hadn't noticed me.