Chapter 35

CHAPTER 35

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Belgravia, London*

My mind raced, heart pounding.

I was making a mistake but it had to be done.

With the papers I had stolen from Theodore's desk, I gathered some yarn, scrap paper and pins and got to work, putting together a crime board all over the walls of my bedroom as I tried to connect everything.

This wasn't exactly how I expected to spend my birthday, but I couldn't be stopped. 

I had a hypothesis - I had to connect it all. There was no case with no evidence.

As the yarn came together, connecting the different pieces of evidence I had, things were beginning to make sense.

A notebook in my hands, I wrote down my theories and before long, things were adding up.

It all came from Sylvia Clinton - the daughter of the Clinton family.

Louis convinced her to leave, to follow her heart and marry a man she loved despite her family not approving and now, Clinton wanted revenge.

Clinton wanted to destroy the Hatton family's reputation the same way Louis had inadvertently destroyed the Clintons.

After Louis, the Earldom of Nottingham would pass to Christina before it went to their uncle Victor, because of a deed poll put in place by the former Earl. If Louis died, Christina would become the Countess of Nottingham in her own right and she would inherit the Hatton estates. By marrying Christina, Clinton wouldn't necessarily inherit the title of Earl but he would inherit the Hatton estates due to inheritance laws and he would take everything.

Clinton needed Louis dead and now that I was out of the picture, he would succeed. I was the liar - not him.

I leaned on my bed, my heart racing.

Louis is going to die.

That hitman was in Nottingham - he was moving in and Clinton would want the job to be finished. I wasn't there to stop them and even though I had told Louis he needed to be careful of Clinton, my betrayal to him was more profound. Why would he believe me?

I had to tell Theodore and Florence everything.

Yes, I would get into trouble for going through his things like this but I had cracked a case and it was worth it. They wouldn't be back until late in the night but I was going to wait up for them and tell them everything. If I could leave this damned house, I would head to Scotland Yard myself but I had made a promise.

The phone was ringing from the hallway and I tossed my notebook on the bed and ran down the stairs, Agatha beating me to the phone as I slowed my pace on the last few stairs.

"Woodhouse residence..." Agatha's voice was curt as I eavesdropped. "I'm sorry, but Dr Woodhouse is out on business right now. I can take a message?" Agatha reached for a pen and scribbled down a name on the small paper pad that sat next to the phone. "Dowager Countess of Nottingham..."

She spoke the name slowly and I ran down the remaining stairs. "Agatha, let me talk to her."

Agatha covered the mouthpiece with her hand. "I don't think that would be appropriate."

"Please..." I begged and Agatha looked at the phone and me, before handing it to me. I exhaled slightly and spoke. "My Lady..."

"Who is this?" Her voice sounded fraught and I sighed.