Character List

The Year of 1885

Adelaide 'Ada' Woodhouse/Ada Carne - a feisty and independent young woman from Cornwall. She was born illegitimate but her parents married when she was five, thus eligible to be called 'The Honourable' but she doesn't like the title and does not consider herself an aristocrat. Unlike other aristocratic daughters, she was educated at home by her free-spirit mother, resulting in a 'bohemian' upbringing. 

Louis Hatton, Earl of Nottingham - the new Earl of Nottingham. He grew up in Versailles due to his French mother and the family estates, Wollaton Hall and Rufford Abbey in Nottinghamshire. His ancestors include MPs, Lieutenant-Generals and Sheriffs. He is smart and a romantic at heart, adoring the arts, history and archaeology and was educated at Eton, the Sorbonne in Paris and the University of St. Andrew's. 

Dr Theodore Woodhouse - the middle Woodhouse sibling and a renowned private investigator and detective. He is officially titled "Dr Theodore Woodhouse, Baron le Despencer" but he doesn't use his titles. He received a doctorate in forensic psychology from Oxford - one of the first in England and worked under German philosopher, Wilhelm Wundt in Germany and his skills at investigating as world-renowned. 

Florence Moore - a Scottish, mixed-race woman who is Theodore's secretary and assistant and a former governess to Adelaide when they lived in Cornwall. Her mother was an immigrant from Saint Lucia who died in a workhouse when she was seven. A wealthy white woman adopted Florence called Elizabeth Moore who gave her a lady's education and raised her like her own daughter. She is now an heiress to Elizabeth's estate and a member of the aristocracy. She became friends with Theodore when they were teenagers and he holidayed during the summer in Scotland. She moved to Cornwall to be Adelaide's governess when her mother died and is a part of the Woodhouse family in every way. When Adelaide was sent to finishing school, Florence began working with Theodore and proved herself to be a capable detective and private investigator. While a member of the aristocracy, she still faces prejudice.

Emerson Woodhouse, Viscount Porthleven - The eldest Woodhouse sibling, a renowned physician and the Viscount Porthleven. He served time as a surgeon and medic in the Royal Navy and has been working as a consultant physician and surgeon at St. Thomas's Hospital in Westminster. While he officially has the "doctor" prefix to his name, since becoming Viscount, he dropped it to avoid confusion with his brother and is referred to as "Lord Porthleven". He is Adelaide's guardian and clashes with her often but would do anything for his family. He has been married to Lady Charlotte Villiers for two years.

Charlotte Woodhouse, Viscountess Porthleven nee Lady Charlotte Villiers - Emerson's loving wife of two years. Her father is the Duke of Buckingham and Jersey and she has two older brothers. Kind, naive but smart and knows everything and everyone in society, always meeting the Woodhouses with society gossip. She sees Adelaide and Florence as sisters. While she married below her station, she adores Emerson with all her heart. Unlike other women of the aristocracy, she is a trained nurse and midwife and supports the British Red Cross as one of its patrons. As the Viscountess, she is also in charge of the family's finances and estates. She is estranged from her family so her whole life revolves around the Woodhouses. 

Michael Clinton, Viscount Keeling - Louis's best friend who works for his father's textiles business. He is a traditionalist and is doing all he can to rebuild his family's reputation after a scandal brought shame to the family name.

Catherine Hatton, Dowager Countess of Nottingham - The French-born mother of Louis and Christina Hatton and the widow of the former Earl, Arthur Hatton. She met the then-Viscount Maidstone when he was on his Grand Tour of Europe and the two fell instantly in love and married six months later. Catherine became the Countess of Nottingham when her husband became the Earl and they had a loving and committed relationship until the late Earl died from tuberculosis in 1884. She has been in mourning since but is devoted and loving to her children. In France, she was a music teacher and was gifted with the piano and violin, teaching both of her children as they grew. She is a patron of music charities and organisations. 

Lady Christina Hatton - The younger sister of Louis and the heiress to the Earldom. She is a society lady in every way and works with animal charities and horse breeders. When she was born, her father changed his will to allow her to be equal to her brother, therefore making her the heiress to the Earldom. As an heiress, she is picky about who she will marry and she eyes a particular gentleman to whom she hopes her brother will give his blessings. 

Victor Hatton, Baron Eastwell - The paternal uncle of Louis and Christina. He is extra protective of his late brother's family as Louis is the Earl and he takes Louis's place as a proxy while he is away studying. While he is a traditionalist in every sense, he does not vote against Louis's wishes or support causes that go against Louis's progressive views when he is his proxy. 

Lady Octavia Murphy - One of Christina's best friends, who has been courting Louis on and off since they debuted. She is the daughter of the Earl of Derby and she has been Louis's companion for social events for years, believing she will one day be his Countess. 

Commissioner of the Police Chief Edmund Adler - The head of the Met Police in London. He is a wise man but can get annoyed with Theodore and his work methods. 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi everyone!

So, there are a few more characters that should be on this list but I thought I would only add the main, main characters. I hope I can add a family tree at some point as well but I have to make one that can be added on to Wattpad. 

The best way to describe this story is 'Enola Holmes but more New Adult'. It will have much more action, adventure and romance, and I hope you all enjoy this book. 

I'll see you all in Chapter 1!

xxx