Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Belgravia, London/Edinburgh, Scotland*

POLICE SEARCHING FOR ADELAIDE WOODHOUSE OF PORTHLEVEN, CORNWALL AFTER THE BODY OF A WOMAN WAS DISCOVERED IN ST. ANDREWS, SCOTLAND

The headline was plastered front page of The Times and Emerson was fuming.

He paced before the windows as Charlotte and Florence skim-read the story, sat together with concern and worry. "They're making it out like she is involved! She is innocent!" Charlotte cried as Florence shook her head.

"They have publicly named her! It is all associated with us now!"

Florence frowned. "She's your sister. And this is good as it might be easier for us to find her."

"How is naming her like this going to make it easier for us to find her?" Emerson asked. "She will be hiding, especially if she realises that her name is plastered everywhere!"

"She won't be able to go anywhere without anyone asking her who she is!" Charlotte explained. "Her paperwork has her name on it and even if she is arrested, we'll know she is safe and we'll be able to bring her home.

Emerson groaned as Gideon entered the room, bowing. "A reporter from The Telegraph is on the phone..."

"Put the receiver down!" Emerson cried as Gideon nodded. "And if anyone else calls about this, end the call!"

Gideon bowed and left as Charlotte watched him go. "Instead of taking your anger out on everyone, why don't you do something about it?"

"Such as what?" He asked as Charlotte glanced at him.

"Contact the papers and tell them to retract the statement as there is no proof that Adelaide is responsible for what happened and it is defamatory for them to name her so publicly in a condescending way. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen."

Florence turned to Emerson. "She's right. There's no evidence Adelaide is responsible. Just because they are looking for her, it doesn't mean she is the one who did it. She's not a suspect unless they have solid proof she is responsible..."

Emerson nodded. "Charles! Arrange for transportation to Fleet Street, immediately."

Emerson pulled on his hat and gloves and hurried out of the house Florence sighed as Charlotte leaned her head on Florence's shoulder. "I hope Adelaide is alright."

"As do I."

***

"Dr Woodhouse..." The Chief Inspector of the Edinburgh Police greeted Theodore at Edinburgh station. "I'm Chief Inspector Leslie. I hope your journey from London was sound."

"Quite...although the circumstances are not.." Theodore did not want to delve into formalities. He was here on a mission. "Update me on what we know."

Chief Inspector Leslie led the way, gesturing for Theodore to follow as they walked down the platform.

"A young woman matching the description you gave to us was on board a train for Edinburgh..." He explained as they arrived in his office. "She boarded from St Andrews."  A man was waiting in the office, grasping his flat cap in his hands.

"Where did she go?" Theodore questioned as Chief Inspector Leslie gestured to the man in the room.

"Mr Campbell can explain. He was the conductor on the train..."