Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*St Ives, Cornwall*

While people bustled around us on the platforms, Louis and I just stared at each other.

"Louis...what are you doing here?"

He sighed, coming towards me. "My transportation never arrived and I tried to ring home but there was no answer. It was like...the line was dead because the operator couldn't connect." He was panicking, stepping back and forth. "I was going to come to Porthleven to find you as I didn't know what else to do."

I stepped towards him. "Louis...it is fine. I'm just surprised to see you. When we said we would see each other again, I didn't realise this soon."

He smiled and looked past me down the platform, his eyes falling on my bags. "Leaving so soon?"

I cursed under my breath but then nodded, turning back to him. "Yes. There's no one in Cornwall for me. Turns out everyone is in London so that is where I will be heading."

"I'm so sorry..." Louis replied, genuine concern in his voice and I shrugged my shoulders. "I know you were so eager to come home."

"Well...maybe this was never home..."

Our gaze met and for a few brief moments, the world came to a standstill. He suddenly sighed and looked away, his hands coming to his hips. "So...you're going to London and I'm going to Nottingham? Looks like our journey together just got extended."

I laughed. "We can catch the same train. We'll have to go our separate ways in Birmingham. I'm taking a transfer there."

"As will I..."

He put his hand out and I took it, shaking it firmly.

I followed him to a bench where his bag was sitting, dumping it to the floor as we sat together on a bench, waiting for the train to arrive.

He slipped away to purchase his ticket, returning with two cups of tea and handing one to me as we sat together, people-watching.

"Who's in London for you?" Louis asked suddenly.

"My brothers..." I replied and he raised his eyebrows.

"Your guardians, I assume?" He remarked as I shifted in my seat. "How many? What do they do?"

"Two..." I replied. "Both...with their own lives and much older than me."

"Why didn't you just go to them first?"

"I was...scared?" I blew my tea, cooling it down. "They're not bad to me but they would not be pleased that I left Scotland without telling them..." 

Louis nodded. "So...why go to them?"

"I have no choice..." I replied, hoping he would drop the conversation as I looked at my dress, pulling some fluff from it. "Sometimes, we have to do things we don't want to do..."

"You don't have to go if you don't want to..." Louis replied and I turned to him. "Especially if they will turn you away."

I shook my head. "They won't...it will just be a really tense moment..." A gnawing feeling filled me but I dismissed it from my mind. "What's the first thing you are going to do when you get home?" I had to change the subject before I said too much.