Chapter 25

CHAPTER 25

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Wollaton Hall, Nottingham*

"Engaged?" Louis was shocked, taken aback by the revelation. Christina sat on an armchair in the parlour, Clinton standing next to her as Catherine mediated, hoping things didn't blow over. "Since when?"

"It's only been a few weeks..." Christina remarked.

"How? Why?" Louis was confused, making his sister frown.

"What do you mean, why? Things happen!"

Louis's eyes went wide in horror. "I beg your pardon?"

"Not like that!" Clinton quickly replied. "Everything was appropriate and your mother chaperoned a lot."

Louis turned to his mother. "Why did no one tell me?"

"You weren't exactly here when these decisions were made!" Christina replied sternly but Louis glared at her.

"I've only been missing for a few weeks! You were all more than capable of informing me! This has been going on for...how long?"

Clinton hesitated before he spoke. "Since the beginning of the year."

"I was here during Easter and none of you bothered to mention it to me?" Hurt and betrayal were all Louis felt. A void of pain as if someone had stabbed him repeatedly. He turned to Clinton. "I thought we were friends?"

"We are," Clinton assured him, stepping forward. "You are my greatest friend but I cannot control what the heart wants." He looked at Christina who smiled at him, but then glared at her brother.

"Everyone has approved and given their blessings. Now we need yours and if you don't, we will elope!"

"No..." Clinton shook his head. "Christina, I love you but I will not marry you without Louis's blessings."

Louis looked at both of them, glancing at his mother. "Mon cheri..." Catherine came to her son. "They are happy. Why deny them that?"

"You are young Christina..." Louis looked at her. "Are you sure this is what you want?"

Christina stood up and came to her brother, taking his hands. "I am twenty-three years old. Most women my age are already married."

"And Clinton is not a stranger. We all know him and adore him..." Catherine praised the Viscount who dipped his head in appreciation.

In a corner on his own, Louis knew he would lose those he loved if he said no to this. Clinton was his friend - he knew things about him that he would never say to anyone but if his sister was happy, he couldn't deny her that.

"All right..." Louis smiled at Christina. "You have my blessings."

Squealing in joy, Christina hugged her brother as Clinton smiled. "Welcome to the family." He stretched out an arm, enveloping Clinton into the group hug as Catherine came over, joining in.

The Hatton family was growing.

***

I had left the Hattons to discuss whatever it was that was on their minds alone and had retreated to the solace of the library. A maid had lit the fireplace for me and I found some paper in my bedroom drawers. After finding some charcoal, I proceeded to sketch the view outside the window. In an armchair in front of the window, I sketched the gardens and the trees, branches bearing from the falling leaves.