Recovery

You looked down at the tiled floor, holding yourself tightly with both hands as you waited for Reki to walk out the door and greet you on the halls with his usual grin. Langa stood by you as you both leaned against the wall, while Miya and Hiromi sat on the benches.
No one could see your anxiety-frozen expression from the strands of your hair and the dull light in the hallway, and thankfully no one was going to check. Sometimes you needed time to collect your thoughts.

'Could this have been your fault for not saying anything? It's true that you never tried any harder than Langa to make Reki back out, but it wasn't for you!
He's reckless, but you should've known that, and now you became a bystander!! And you could lose all of your friends of you keep acting like this!!
... No.... No! It wasn't for you! He's not obligated to listen to you! And even if he was, you shouldn't be thinking of him as Yakuro! Because Yakuro, is gone.'

These thoughts made you sink deeper into a depressing state, and covered by your crossed arms, your heart started to feel like it was caving in. The guilt and regret of not being able to help enough, of not willing yourself to show more concern than you did, it was all, so bitter.

Langa took a look at your form, he observed you almost more than Reki did, because you were his partner. He wasn't a people person like Reki who couldn't read body language as well as him, but you were a fellow introvert just like he was, and just like you, he also becomes numb in the state of dread.
The form you took was no different to him when he lost his father, the expression you had, while made from anxiety and not depression like his, was also the same. You two were a pair.
He looked at you with the most tender eyes, and carefully snaked an arm around your shoulders, warmth spreading to your back as he moved you two closer until he could fully hold you.
He gently laid his head on the back of yours, the scent of your shampoo wafting up his nose.

Even in this comforting state, the silence of waiting for the green light was still heart racing. But as you heard the footsteps, you slowly lifted your head and slowly to turned to see that your goofy redhead was ok.

He looked awkwardly at everyone, and as his eyes landed in you, he nervously scratched the back of his neck. He regretted the choices he made, you looked so dreadful waiting for him, He never meant to make you feel so bitter.

"I've got two weeks for a full recovery" he began.
"But there's no brain damage!"
He smiled to ease the mood.

Miya and Langa, out of relief, sighed in unison, as shadow stood there stiff, his relief not being as obvious as the rest.
With Langa's arms loosened, you slowly crept out and walked towards Reki, observing the cast around his left arm. You fiddled with the ends of your sleeves, almost forgetting your habit of pulling at them, and stood in front of the redhead.
He lifted his right hand and patted your shoulder, before stepping forward and giving a gentle one arm hug.

"Glad it wasn't anything more. You know you're lucky." Miya said in an almost mumbling sound.

Reki heard this and you stepped to the side as he then walked over to Miya.
"I'm so sorry Miya. I didn't mean to let you down." Reki looked at the boy with sorrow in his eyes.

"Oh I'm not surprised at all. I told you, no slime can beat the final boss." Miya replied, standing back up in his usual state.
Reki frowned slightly at this.
Miya turned his back to Reki So as to not show his face, but you had full view of it.
"But whatever, at least it's not my fault you looked like a fool out there."

"What'd you say?" Reki asked, not hearing him clearly.

Langa replied.
"He said you looked cool out there."

Miya abruptly stepped backwards, and huffed in Langa's face.
"I didn't say anything like that!" He whispered.

You snickered at this.